Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: New Maps
-=Reborn JEDI=- Forums > -=Reborn JEDI=- Archives > The Jedi Scene Shop
JayBaen
Has anyone had a chance to play the new maps we uploaded to the server? Just looking for some feedback.

Also, if anyone has any ideas for other maps that we could look at, suggestions are welcome.

JB
Huma-Gaidin
I've played both starhell and the matrix one.

* Matrix one - slower fps then i would like to play for dueling wink.gif
* Starhell - Way too much open space with a drab backdrop in the sky in my opinion. However it does keep duels somewhat fast since you
always spawn right near that mirror that teleports you to the main dueling grounds.

All in all.... id say leave the starhell map on the server until we get another good dueling map on the server.... because we do need a variety wink.gif
TheBeast
I kinda have the same comments as Huma about the 2 new maps.

*Matrix-Reloaded, is stunning and way to big... I don't like the idea of all the teleporter that take you to other part of the map (other "sets" of the movie) cause all the people will surely be fighting in the main area (the one we always respawn to). So, in a sad way, that make the other parts useless.

* Star Hell, again quite cool, but way to much open space. To make the map a GREAT one, the main area (the one that the mirror take us to) should be smaller.

But again, they are cool map when you want to play "explorer" and I'm not talking about the car smile.gif

- Beast
JayBaen
It is most certainly difficult to find good maps for regular use. I'm glad you all are responding, however. It's the only way we know what the group wants.

Check out another map ... tmbj .... (they might be jedi).

It's a map that been around for a bit that we've not played at RJ, but may well be worth looking at. It also has many 'useless rooms of eye candy,' but, the 'main event' area and a couple of others are worth the download. It has great frame rate as well -- nice design.

Let me know what you think.

JB
XeroSaber
ive played MANY maps, including Matrix reloaded and Starhell and TMBJ...i can say this..

Matrix Reloaded rox, to me, cuz im a HUGE matrix fan, and therefore i am biased...but i love the map.

Starhell is pretty nice, although im not sure about the fps or anything, cuz im not good at calculating a good one or bad one...but i like it.

TMBJ is a great map, and has alot of cool rooms to duel in that have little extras here and there...i recommend it highly for the server.

Xero
Butter-Bean
I havent checked out starhell or the matrix maps but I have seen TMBJ, it's cool and has nice affects and great detail for such a Large map although it can get a bit boring at times
Tyrannus
The only thing I liked about the TMBJ map (which I've played a LOT of times) is the music. They Might Be Giants makes good songs .. and they are amusing. Other than that, the maps is pretty pointless. It would be a better pick than the Super-Sized Matrix: Reloaded map, however. A good one for the rotation, too. A change of pace from what we have. And the Star Hell map is fine to me, you just have to get used to it.

Just my little thoughts .. or cries of insanity. Take them as you will. The Mighty Tyrannus hath spoken.
Kyzene
the mighty tyrannus eh??? that sounds funny biggrin.gif
Ruggiero
Has anyone seen the 'jedis vs. aliens map?'

I have not, but I have heard it is quite splendid.

--Rugg
Butter-Bean
Yeah. I have seen it a few times, its pretty big and is more of an exploration map than a dueling one with hidden areas and such.
OneWingAngel
I'm all for the Jedi vs. Aliens map. Though it is quite big there is a lot of room to duel, and when your not dueling you can explore and take in all the eye candy smile.gif . Also, I'm not really a fan of TMBJ for the same reasons as tyrannus, I just think it is pointless.
JayBaen
We should probably throw the two up there (out of rotation) and give them a go when enough people are around to see what the usability factor is. I'll try to get to that shortly.

JB
Deacon
I was playing the TMBJ map over on jk2files.com and It IS cool; however, it is really big too. I love the music in the background, but way to big for our community here. I think going bigger than bespin streets with the number of slots on this server would be overkill. I've been downloading like a fiend and when I find some kool maps, I'll give a shout.

-Deacon
JayBaen
Wondering if there's been any more thought on that ol' RjDuelArena v2? I know Def had some good stuff going.

Just a curious question wink.gif

JB
Defster
Ive been working on it, but very slowly... I need to set a few hours aside just for working on it.
JayBaen
Thanks for the update Defster. We look forward to the changes. Let us know if there's anything else about which you need suggetions. Also, make sure a few of us get to 'Beta-test' it before it goes 'live.'

JB
Equanimity
I just wanted to add my two cents here. I can understand why maps like Matrix Reloaded and Jedi Council aren't good for dueling due to size and FPS issues. However, I do think that they should be placed on the server as part of the non-rotation maps, just so that they are available as a "fun-map" in case everyone wants a break from the rotation. I do speak with complete ignorance, however, as to whether that needlessly occupies precious space on the server (not sure how much disk space we were allotted).
Ruggiero
I think they ARE on the server. wink.gif
Equanimity
The new one? I'm pretty sure they weren't transported, because I was looking for them the other day wink.gif
Ruggiero
What do you mean "the new one?" Which versions of each? can you link me?
Equanimity
I mean the new server. I don't think those maps were ported over from the old server.
JayBaen
Equanimity may be correct. In getting the "new server" up as quickly as possible, the maps that aren't in the actual rotation may not have been added (which was planned for after our 'testing' period of the new box --- then, I was on vacation).

I can look into this after I get home, or if Rugg you'd like to check to be sure and upload them if they are not there when you have time, that would be great.

JB
Magnomious
Hello all! Most of you should know me:) I'm just asking for some guidance on mapping. If perhaps if someone could tutor me in making maps as great as those of RJ's it would be greatly appreciated. Just send me a message if you are interested(and hopefully know how to map!!) and i will give you my AIM or msn adress.

Thanks in advance,

-Regards, Magnomious.
Equanimity
Whlie I cannot offer any insight in this department, I know that Huma and Ruggiero have made their own maps before, so they should be able to point out all the tips and tricks of the trade. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.