Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: RJ Saber Colloquium - Miscellaneous discussion
-=Reborn JEDI=- Forums > -=Reborn JEDI=- Archives > The Jedi Gym > Colloquium Matters
Pages: 1, 2
Equanimity
I'm trying to get a sense of the popularity of such an idea. Essentially, we would be helping each other improve our skills with the saber, collectively, with one person leading the discussion regarding the topic that is being covered that particular day.
TheBeast
I always thought it was a great idea... They do it at the Jedi Academy... and it's always good... cause we all know that some people are just better at it... and we need some of their tricks to get them once in a while smile.gif

Jokes aside... I find it to be a good idea... but for those of us who will lead those discussion... or maybe organized it... it takes time, and also a quiet place to make these discussion pleasant.

- Beast
Equanimity
A custom map should offer the peace and quiet we need, methinks. smile.gif
TheBeast
and a 'locked server'.... that what I was thinking about... kind of like a 'RJ thursday'

- Beast
Equanimity
Yeah, what ever happened to RJ thursdays? smile.gif

Anyways, I thought about locked servers too, although sometimes the password is a hassle to give out to everyone. Unless we keep the password the same every time. Plus, that means we have to pester Jay or Rugg to lock it up every time we want to host something. Still...if we have too many lamers and unexpected visitors, we might have to.
JayBaen
I'm sure something could be worked out .. smile.gif

I love the idea, I know I'd go to a few seeing as how my saber's a little dull these days!

Are we thinking of these sessions being RJonly, or invitation, or open and advertised?

JB
Kyzene
well maybe we could have some of them open and others not? or would that be too much of a hassle?

Ky
InfiniteWarrior
Open? I promise, I'll sit in the corner and not make a peep. unsure.gif Please?
TheBeast
I think... Ky's got it... some could very well be open... and some not (RJ Only... where we would trade the deapest secret we hold on the many mysteries of the force smile.gif)

- Beast
Equanimity
Well, I was thinking open at first, but now that Jay mentions closed discussions....

J/K lol smile.gif

I think we'll have some sessions which are closed (with select invites) while MOST sessions are open and advertised.
Deacon
This sounds wonderful. If getting the server locked down or otherwise changed is a problem, let me know. I have more than enough bandwidth to accomidate people on my server.

If you need help with getting things arranged, please let me know.

-Deacon
Equanimity
While we're at it, why don't you guys start posting suggestions about what ought to be covered in these gatherings. After all, if we leave it impromptu, we won't get as much done.

Any ideas and/or requests?
Tyrannus
Obviously, saber techniques/strategies will be discussed.. also, depending on who is there, we can bash women. (Looks at Infinite)
Ruggiero
user posted image

The above is a symbolic interpretation of the relationship Tyr has with Infi.
Deacon
Equanimity has already provided the foundation for the sessions whether he knows it or not. Here is what I've pulled from the primer.

These can be used in whole or in part to construct the lesson plans. Also, I've changed the order from the original postings. These may be further modified for continuity and flow.

The Jedi Mindset
    Respect
    Confidence
    Creativity
    Equanimity
    Patience
The Jedi Stances
    Red
    Blue
    Yellow Stance
Observations From A Fellow Padawan
    Observation
    Practice
    Learning
    Faith
    Never Forget - Have fun
The Nature Of The Force
    The Light Side
    The Dark Side
    The Two Sides In Battle
The Nature of the Force (cont.) & Repelling the Wily Lamer

Possible Demos
    JayBaen: "TheJayBaen" and "The JayBaen Wallow"
    Tyrannus: "The Tyrannus I-have-no-idea-how-he-just-killed-me"
    TheLizardKing: "The Humiliator"
    Huma: "TheWonderBum Duck and Cover"
    Ruggiero: "The Rodian Lunge & The Rodian Stutterstep"
    Kyzene: "The Kyzene Memorial Anklebite"
    OneWingAngel: "The Icarus"
    Beast: "The Quebecois Two-Step"
    Equanimity "The Random Red DFA by Mistake"
Combination Attacks
    Red
    Yellow
    Blue
    Special Combinations
The Art of Defense
    Parrying
    Horizontal Plane
    Vertical Plane
    Reversal
    The Last Defense
Counter-Strokes

Saber-Locks

Footwork
    Positioning
    Feinting
    Stalling
Advanced Aerial Techniques
Cool names courtesy of Tyrannus
    Barrel-Roll Slash
    Hanging Slash
    Flying Somersault Slash
    Flying Lemon
Advanced Ground Techniques
    Sweeping
    Ankle-Biting (Kyzene Memorial Ankle-Biting)
    The Hook
    The Aborted Hook
    The Parting Kiss
    The Aborted Parting Kiss
InfiniteWarrior
user posted image
The above is a fairly accurate representation of Ruggi's relationship with himself.
Ruggiero
The below is a fairly accurate representation of all that will be left of Infi after I get done with her.

user posted image
Equanimity
Nice suggestions Deacon smile.gif Quite comprehensive, I must say. tongue.gif
JayBaen
<----- loves Infi soooooo much.

JB
Tyrannus
<---- Wants another post tacked onto his already mighty number
Equanimity
Does anyone want to take the initiative on the agenda to be covered in the first gathering? I'm going through a learning phase right now, so as of yet, I can't lead one of these sessions. But I do want to get this going before the idea fades out completely.

Someone, please take the torch smile.gif Deacon, since you laid out such a detailed schedule, perhaps you could?
JayBaen
Way to go Mr. Delegator .. smile.gif
Tyrannus
I guess since everyone here is so modest, we must vote on who are the 'saber masters' amongst the clan (and regulars, should we permit them there). They will then be the main speakers.

Just my idea..
*HAMSTAR*
yeah lets make a vote on the saber masters, but you can't vote for yourself.
Equanimity
The way I see it, it's pretty simple. If you wear an RJ tag, you are by definition a saber master. Period. End of story. smile.gif
Kyzene
no equ....yur forgetting....some of our more old members...and some of our green slimy ones aren't saber masters happy.gif especially the older ones... rolleyes.gif

Ky
Equanimity
Come on, I see FOUR other people who have shown interest to lead one of these discussions. Please, one of you, present yourself as the pioneer saber mentor. You will be remembered fondly for your valiant gesture. smile.gif
Ruggiero
Put your money where your little mouth is Kyzene.

Rugg
Equanimity
Anyone up for a first saber discussion this coming Saturday at 2PM EST?

If you prefer another day or another time, let us know smile.gif
*HAMSTAR*
yeah and btw does anyone wanna film and make a small movie of that Star Wars Ghetto version of dotf.
Equanimity
Hamstar - I believe there was a really well-made version of that fight which was produced and captured in JK2...I suggest looking around the web for it...keywords should include "duel of the fates". Apparently, it was done so realistically that it looked almost like the original. Good luck, and if you come across it, lemme know where I can download it smile.gif
Equanimity
Ok, since no one seems interested in leading a discussion, I guess I'll just have to invent a topic.

The first topic of discussion is: How to achieve a perfect victory

The event is on Saturday, January 16, 2004. 2PM EST. RJ Server.

So, for those of you who are interested in attending the first ever RJ Saber Colloquium, please reply to this post with:

Name: (The name you will be using to join the server)
Email: (I'll need this to send you a password)

Don't worry if you're not sure you can make it. As long as you're interested, I'll send you a password anyways.

P.S. If this topic of discussion doesn't make people excited, then I'll be darned biggrin.gif
Kyzene
this sounds fun...whens it gunna be...?

name: same as always...
e-mail: same as always...

I'd like to see how whoevers leading this....(equ?).... says how to get a perfect victory...

Ky happy.gif
Equanimity
Ok, I edited my original post with a time and date.
DaRkSiDe
Sir...

Name: -=RJ=-DarkSide
E-Mail: darkjedi326@hotmail.com

I'll see if i can make it.

-DS
Ruggiero
RATS.

I WISH I could be there, but I can't!

Tyranus, could you take notes for me?

Rugg

RATS RATS RATS RATS
Equanimity
Ok, it has been brought to my attention by several individuals that I did not provide enough notice for such an event.

This being as it is, I would like to postpone the date of the first event to NEXT Saturday, January 24, 2004 at 2PM EST (GMT -0500). The topic remains the same. biggrin.gif

For those of you who have already responded, I apologize for the inconvenience, but the password I sent you will remain valid. If such a time is inconvenient for you, please let me know, so we can make arrangements.
DaRkSiDe
Alright, thats cool.
TheBeast
Yeah... I,ll be able to join in

Name: I think you know it smile.gif
Email : beast@rjclan.com

- Beast
Deacon
I'm not sure about next weekend... I'll be getting old then. I'll let you know though.

--Deacon
JayBaen
Do I smell a birthday .. ? .. smile.gif

EQ -- I will do my best. Sat afternoons can be a bit difficult for me, but I'd love to come.

You've got my goods -- email away.

JB
XeroSaber
i barely saw this thread and its three pages long already! i missed too much! guys, i would love to be a part of these sessions, although i dont know what a colloqium is (*Braces for Ruggs scolding*). im hoping to make it if im allowed and able to.

Name: Xerosaber (Obviously smile.gif)
Email: Typical_mexican86@Yahoo.com
Tyrannus
I'm sure I could grace the server with my presence... and, of course, give a few notes to young, wide-eyed Jedi if you guys so wish it. You know how to find me.. and my name can't be forgotten..
hellsing@work
I ll join with pleasure

Hellsing **********

email : gabriel_viger@yahoo.ca
Equanimity
Ok, I think I have sent a password to everyone who has requested it. If you still have NOT received your password, please let me know.

Also, check this forum RIGHT BEFORE you attend the Colloquium, as we might have a last minute change of location.
Ruggiero
I am going to try and make it... I could use a pass too. smile.gif

Rugg
<GAMBIT>
Dear whoever it may concern,

I was told by Darkside that all may come to this Colliquisomething. I was hoping that i may join you guys and girl while the lessons are going on. im farely noob to this game but i want to learn how to fight well. if someone could get back to me on this, that would be great. If my participation is acceptable than here is my information.

Name: JohnWalker84
Email:Jamatier@comcast.net

Thanks in advance,
John the drunken sabererer
Equanimity
John - You are more than welcome to join the Colloquium. However, I urge you to first read the Jedi Primer that has been posted in this same forum section, and get very familiar with it, as the Inaugural Colloquium will be covering some fairly advanced techniques. Thus, I believe you would benefit most greatly if you were to first get familiar with the Jedi Primer.

I will send you the password shortly.
TheBeast
Well... sadly... I won't b able to make it to the first RJ colloqium... sad.gif

One of my 'cousin' (well the son of my aunt)... had a car accident on Tuesday night and he is still at the hospital hanging between life and death... so I'm going to see him... I don't really know when I'll be coming back... hope it won't be too long... I just want to make sure he will be OK... 'cause it's keeping my brain a bit busy right now and as time passes I can't seem to be able to think about anything else.

See ya guys and gals

- Beast
Equanimity
Beast, forget about the stuff here...I'll take good notes for you. Go visit your cousin...our prayers are with him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.