Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: A Skinning Tutorial?
-=Reborn JEDI=- Forums > -=Reborn JEDI=- Archives > The Jedi Runway
Ruggiero
There has been interest among players on our server for the skinning experts of RJ to put together some sort of Tutorial. Is this something you guys can do? Perhaps it should be skinning first.... and then, perhaps, you can take on Modelling.

At any rate, it would be a help to our guests (and members).... if you have nothing better to do with your time. smile.gif

Ruggiero
DarkSykes
Yes that could be good.. but what about that people like muah.. once i learn somthing i can do it but typed out instructions usually need to be as basic as possible or im like huh.gif not that im stupid just reading somthing is often harder than bein shown happy.gif
InfiniteWarrior
But, a very nice Custom Skinning Tutorial has already been written. It does not, however, tell you some things you probably should know. For instance, you DO NOT have to edit all the .tga files to create a custom skin. Just the jpegs. If there is something specific you would like to change (like the head, Jan's glove sad.gif, etc.), it is necessary to edit .tga files. Otherwise, it is utterly useless to waste your time with them, imho.

Unlike mapping and modeling, there isn't much technical knowledge required for skinning - just a very -- VERY -- artful eye. And THAT is what sets the RJ skins apart from so many others. It is also, incidentally, something you cannot teach.

If you put the correct paths to the jpegs you create in your .skin files, create custom taunts, team colors and sounds, you'll have a good skin package. But, it's the textures/colors you choose and how you apply them that makes for an excellent skin.

Now that there's an excellent female model out there to work on wink.gif, I'm having a great time (when I make time) dressing her up. If I had Angel's eye for color & design and Ruggi's eye for textures, I might even have a couple dozen to release by now. rolleyes.gif
TheBeast
I think it's a great idea Rugg... but like Infinite said... on the skinning subject, it's all about the 'art' and doesn't need that much of technical knowledge.

But I still think we could come up with a 'complete' guide to skinning... like a '

Jedi Outcast & Academy Skinning for Dummies' smile.gif

That would really talk about every trick in the book and also give a solution to every 'common' (and emphasize on the common) problems.

With modeling... if we take it there (well if I take it up there smile.gif), there would be a great deal to write... even if the modeling tutorial included in the JK2 editing tools is very helpful... a lot of information about detail and crucials activities (like weighting a skirt for example !!! biggrin.gif) is missing. SO I could come up with something a bit more 'complete' to make the frustrating trip to forums-that-don't-quite-answer-your-question-and-take-a- whole-lot-of-time-to-answer-your-question-when-you-post-one a less frequent experience...smile.gif

Well I'll try to find a place in my already 'crammed' schedule... to write down some idea

- Beast
InfiniteWarrior
Oh, poo. He didn't buy it....

Just you boys don't get so caught up in writing tomes of "instructions" that you lose the momentum you've gained on the RJ skin pack. You're on a roll. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.