Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: An Ode To The Beast :)
-=Reborn JEDI=- Forums > -=Reborn JEDI=- Archives > The Jedi Runway
Ruggiero
By one warrior of the infinite variety.

any news on this little project?

Rugg
TheBeast
Well here's what I've been doing for miss Infinite for the passed few weeks I think.

I wanted to get into modeling and I needed something to motivate me... a project of some kind. So I asked InfiniteWarrior what she didn't like about the JediJan model (she had already expressed her feeling for that particular model) and then my project started.

I got the model done... but I soon found out that making the model (or tweaking it) wasn't the hardest part of the process. It is getting the model into JK2. For the ones who understanc the modeling 'jargon', I've had trouble with the weighting of my new model.

SO the animation don't look that good... and also when I get it into JK2... the saber and weapon aren't in the hand... they are at the left of the model.

So that's about it for the model... but I've also been working on a skin that would go over that model and would have a celtic feel. The skin is nearing compeltion.

- Beast
InfiniteWarrior
As Beast suggested, while I love to keep up on the fantastic work of others, (just for the record) this one isn't actually "for me" or done at my request. wink.gif

That said, I am still excited at the prospect of anyone seriously modeling/skinning a (modestly-attired) character for the female element of our fair community as models of this variety are sadly lacking. I am, however, in no rush to see the finished version as quality takes time. I patiently await its release and am certain, judging by the quality of your clan skins, that once done she will be downloaded and frequently used by most if not all female players of JK. (And I'm given to understand that models will be portable to JK3.)

As you are also aware, I have a wee project of my own going (not quite so ambitious), but have yet to solve it's central problem: Lack of modesty. lol (Beast will understand that.) What I need is an "insert" of sorts that will blend well with the bright chainmaille up top. And while I thought it would be easy to find a sample of metallic mesh fabric, I have yet to come up with one and find the others I've tried extremely lacking. Any ideas?

I'm tempted to chuck her in favor of waiting for someone to scale back the dimensions of a Reborn model to represent the fairer sex. (But, uh, that's not a request. wink.gif) Jay's skin is mighty fine; he appears to be dressed for Winter and the details are stunning!
OneWingAngel
Wait, ummm.... Beast, you are trying to model but it isn't turning out well, right. What is the problem the animation?
TheBeast
Beast, you are trying to model

I'm trying to model and it is turning out well enough I think (Rugg could tell you more about my work (more objective view of things, I think smile.gif))

And the problem is the animation... here is the real explanation : The real problem is that when the model animate... it doesn't look that right, some thing are not working right... for example the model I made for Infinite... euh... I'm working on...smile.gif have a skirt... and sometimes the buttocks passed throught the skirt in animation because the skirt isn't attached properly the the right bones.

It's kinda hard to understand when you don't know anything about modeling... and I have to say I have a hard time explaining it (in english smile.gif)

And another thing... just after I wrote my first post... I worked on the model with rugg and seem to have fix some problems (like a bit of the skirt and another one I had with the saber not being in the right hand)

So finally... it's well under way (and I think) nearing completion. She just need a bit of tweaking for the animations and also a GREAT skin to go with a GREAT model biggrin.gif

- Beast
Deacon
So what's wrong with showing a little skin?

tongue.gif

On a serious note, how hard is it to do animated skins? I have some ideas, but want to know the level of effort before starting on it.

Thanks!
OneWingAngel
Well you have to make a skeleton for it which is kind of hard. It really get's anoying for me when I have (what I think) a finished model and then the animation is wrong and I don't know what to fix or play with.
Deacon
I'm thining that I want to stay with the Shadowtrooper model. It has grown on me over the past year or two. What I'm looking at is skinning. Do I need to modify the model for this o rdo I need to be careful how the skin lays on the model or both?

Thanks,
Deacon
TheBeast
Deacon... The thing about modeling... is well ... euh... very undefined.

First, you can model without going throught all the process (meaning creating the skeleton, creatiing the model from scrap and then a skin for the model you just made). That's what I did, for the model I'm working on, I took the Jan model as a base and modified some of her feature and added other one.

Second, about the animations of the model, they are all stored into the file named _humanoid.gla and you should always use them unless you're making a model sodifferent he wouldn't be able to use the animation already made for a Human (bipeds). (For example of model so different would be Yoda (the small version) and DarthMaul (who the author changed the saber move to represent a saberstaff fighting style). But you may still run into some problems (like me and my skirt smile.gif) when using the _humanoid.gla animations.

Third, if you are only looking at skinning for the shadowtrooper model, I don't think you have to worry about the model itself. It is part of the game so I would think that the modeler and skinner at Lucasart would have took the time to make the model so NO glitchs are apparent and also that the skin falls correctly on the model (no that much streching).

Finally, I think all you have to do is get your ModView working smile.gif, start up you favorite image porgram and make carelessly a new 'deacon's style' skin for the shadowtrooper model smile.gif

Well good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with smile.gif

- Beast
Deacon
Finally, I think all you have to do is get your ModView working  , start up you favorite image porgram and make carelessly a new 'deacon's style' skin for the shadowtrooper model 

Couple of quick questions.

Any problems with using Photoshop 7?

Any problem with mixing transparent and solids skins?

In otherwords, I have a "cloaked" skin that I like and the default shadowtrooper/blue skin that I use. (This will most likely NOT be my final design, not wanting to bite off of Eq's duds smile.gif ) I want to mix and match parts.

After I try that I want to play with fire, matrix, energy and water animations in small amounts to accent or highlight the details of the skin.

Thanks,
Deacon
TheBeast
Any problems with using Photoshop 7?

Well I use PaintShop Pro 7, so Ican't say... but while I was working on the skin of my model Rugg helped me and he was using photoshop (so he could better answer that question)

Any problem with mixing transparent and solids skins?

As for this quesion... you ahve to understand that the skin is only an image file applied to certain part of the body and deformed by the movement of these parts... So anything that are on those image file will be applied 'as is'. If you play with transparency (cloaked skin) it will work as well as a solid skin.

So play with it and see what works and what doesn't.

- Beast
InfiniteWarrior
While I did see Beast in-game, still thought I'd drop a note here to let everyone know just how well his new model turned out! The chest is much more natural, the hair is glorious and the tartan skirt, which must have been a nightmare to create (I don't even want to think about matching up that plaid during the skinning process biggrin.gif) is not only perfectly aligned, but (if you're looking) there's even a slit in the back to allow her legs free movement.

From the headband to the tattoos to the armbands to the leggings, she is every inch a Celtic Warrior. smile.gif Never one to speak for anyone but myself, I will break tradition on this occasion to say Thank You, Beast, on behalf of female gamers everywhere for a great, strong model and skin!

I've poured over JK2 file sites for a year looking for a powerful female model and found little but centerfolds, dorky-looking Jans and biker chicks from hell. "Disappointing" is not the word for a quest like that. I was growing a little despondent. sad.gif

I have no idea why you chose to model a female as your first project, but I can't tell you how happy I am that you did! And I'm humbled beyond words (even in English!) that you would choose to name her as you have. *I'm not worthy* lol

A very special thanks goes out to Ruggi for his contributions as well. How... many... times... can you say "Come on out here!" before it starts to turn your stomach? (In my case, less than two.)

I hope you plan to continue modeling, Beast, and look forward to seeing your future creations (male or female, human or alien). You obviously have a talent for it!
OneWingAngel
I agree. Beast, my compliment on the model especially the skin. I can sorta model but make a skin from scratch, now that's hard:) I've got ideas for more model wink.gif if you want umm..... but I'm not asking u for anything biggrin.gif they're just ideas. Once again awesome job
TheBeast
Well... euh...

*blushing as the Beast start to think of something to write smile.gif*

Even after thinking for a good 5 minutes about what I could write smile.gif.... I don't really know how to 'handle' all these congratulations.

With modesty, I always thought that the model was kind of 'normal looking'... I didn't even begin to think it would make such an impact and people would find it so great. Well I think I got a peek at this when Rugg started helping me on the skin and got an hold of the unfinished model. He was always saying how great it was and how good all the work was...smile.gif and at first I feared that Rugg would be the only one thinking that way... boy was I wrong!!! biggrin.gif

Afterall I had ask Infinite for some input because I just wanted to know how modeling worked and I needed a motivation (project) to get this on... and I,m so glad it turned out as great as this... I think after version 2 (just want to had more taunts and maybe a celtic sword(saber model) to go with the warrior feel smile.gif), I will surely submit it to jk2files.com.

Well, OneWing, for the ideas... you could always create a suggestion post... and I could always look at it... and start something on my free time.

As I have said it... I'm glad everyone likes my model so much... and I'm glad I,ve been able to give something back to the friends I have made here and the community (when I,ll submit it to JK2files smile.gif) that I love so much

- Beast
TheBeast
Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know that I was working on a Infinite model v2... because I didn,t like the little (and I mean little opening in the shoulder cause by the red overhead move)... and I wanted to add more tuant... I sure hope you'll like them as much as 'humm... this is interesting' smile.gif and also wanted to redo the skirt patern of the red, bleu and rj version of the skin (not enough tartan smile.gif). I also renamed the rjtartan version to only 'rj'... and that's about it for the moment.

But before closing the project... lauching the v2 and proposing it to JK2 (or 3) files... I wanted to know if some of you had thought about some improvement I did not mentionned and should really be done on v2 for it to be utterly 'perfect' biggrin.gif

- Beast
InfiniteWarrior
Okay. I read this last night, thought about it, slept on it, got up this morning, thought about it some more. Been thinking about it a while, actually. So, here's my two cents:

1. If it's submitted to JK2, my first suggestion would be to change its name. I know, I know.... the name is her most endearing feature. wink.gif Personally, though, I tend not to download personal skins or clan skins unless I just really like that player personally or happen to play with that clan. And if you're going to submit it, you want it to be downloaded by as many people as possible. Right? Right. So, name her something generic like "Celtic Warrior". (That goes for the bot as well. rolleyes.gif )

2. Think I mentioned that most of the skirt disintegration issues go away if you just cover her rear. It's hard to pinpoint in the jpeg, but the tops of her thighs are actually on the left-hand side of that image and no self-respecting Celt is going to wear a thong under the kilt anyway. Nothing? Maybe. But we won't go there.

3. The skirt "balloons" quite a bit as it's open to the waist. I know nothing about modeling or how hard it might be, but can the skirt be "bolted" to the model's hips? If it can, it would look more natural and form-fitting.

4. Speaking of form-fitting, the top seems a little out-of-kilter with the bottom. She's just a bit out-of-balance, wearing a chainmaille top with a wool skirt. (Brrrrrrr.) I really like the look of the RJWolfe shirt and would love to hear Angel's take on the Celtic Warrior's top. Something with the textures and folds of Jedi Desaan's ensemble with the kind of bold accents seen on the Wolfe would maybe help balance it out. (I really can't get over that whole Wolfe ensemble. The colors; the detail. Fantastic.)

5. She looks like a Warrior, but she sure doesn't sound like one. And this goes back to the incredibly hard-to-find female sounds discussed elsewhere. I won't tell you what I think she actually sounds like. Let's just say guys will love it; girls will hate it -- with a passion.

6. That bot. Hmmmm. "Hiya, everybody!" ??? Chances are good warriors don't talk like that, either. wink.gif Little too "cutesie" for my taste. She could spawn or respond greet with something like, "Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!" (An open mouth often invites a closed fist.) In other words, ditch the Molly Ringwold and think more Maureen O'hara!

The model is fantastic, Beast. I can tell you, tho, that female players probably won't download it. Thing is, there are so many more male players than female players. So, I guess you just have to use your best discretion there.

I will be happy to think on this some more and contribute anything I can in the way of say bot files, sounds, jpegs (or at least direction to body parts on jpegs) or anything else I can do, if you desire.
TheBeast
Thx Infinite,

For everything... for this input and all you said... but... here is what I make with all your comments

1. About the skirt... I know it 'baloon'... but as far as my modeling skills go... this is the best I can get it... because if the is more form fitting, there will be a hell lot more of clipping issues. A workaround... would be to 'skin' the buttocks with the patern of the skirt... but I always wanted to be able to use the skin without the skirt. So she has to have 'something' beneat this... as for what the 'something' is I don't really know... as you said... no Celtic warrior would wear a thong to battle... they would ussually wear nothing (by my 'knowing' of the celtic 'culture')

2. For the sound... what are you talking about particulaerly ??? The death sound, the falling one, the taunt, the pain sound ???? which one ??? and with what would you replaced it with??? ( I know this may sound like I took your comment 'personal', but this is not how I mean it... I just don't with what I should replaced them smile.gif)

3. As for the bot... Rugg made it... and I did not test it for myself... she was supposed to say Greetings! or something like that... I will have to check that out smile.gif

And finally... Infinite... because you are one of the 2 females (I thinks there's only Mini as the other female, and I welcome her comments as much I as do yours) who comes to our forums... I beg you to give me an image of a female warrior that would fit the 'feel' of this model so I may skin the top another way. I have to admit, I was beginning to have a bit of a problem with that... but I like my chainmail patern so much...smile.gif I just want to get something else on there.

I was thinking about a scottish 'sash' (there probably a word for this but I do not know it) that would start at the top of the skirt in the back, come around a shoulder and finish at the top of the skirt in the front.

So keep those comments coming... I really want this model to please as close as everyone as I can get...smile.gif And the first one being myself smile.gif

- Beast
TheBeast
Well... just a little update that I thought was worth mentionning smile.gif

Talking about my nemesis again (that skirt smile.gif) got me thinking.... I work on it and I came to an encouraging result... I 'downsized' the 'balloon effect' without augmenting the clipping issues... there is some now but they are all at the top of the skirt... so they are not that 'evident'.

Oh and I'm asking for a female warrior image... because all I found were image of barely clothed female holding a sword or a bow... and it seem that this is not the way to go for the female players to feel better about their model smile.gif

- Beast
InfiniteWarrior
At the top of the skirt? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Perfect! 'Cause the extra coverage on the legs jpeg should take care of that, too. I'll post one I'd made that's not in use for you so you can see where the fabric lies. If you prefer, I'll just produce one from yours myself and you can see if you like it.

Also, hate to say it (I hear her so much), but Jan sounds are more appropriate for a strong model, methinks. Infinite has some; but then there are the much - uh, younger(?) - sounds. I also have a couple of sound packs I made up for other projects you can cruise through. I couldn't release my modified Vengeance for download by me peers (per request), so two other people have heard that pack, I think.

I've found some new sounds since that I'd like to hear on -say- "death" for a change. I especially concern myself with the order of the files when it comes to pain and death. Don't know why. Just seems important. (Ben Burtt was my personal hero growing up.) Along with your new taunts and maybe one extra that I've got, she'd have plenty of new sounds.

Be happy to work with Ruggi to produce a bot file that combines the best of his zingers with some slightly stronger comments.

And now... the top. I've found a few pics that hint at the kind of highlander-jacket, long-sleeved, complete coverage image I have in mind. Again, the Desaan/Wolfe detailing - something along those lines. Still waiting to hear comments from Angel. -- Angel? Where are you, Angel?

Perchance the highlander should be a second "default", tho. The chainmaille is nice.
InfiniteWarrior
An update on the legs....

Used one that already had the tartan design applied to it. (The red piping helps to line everything up.) The opening between the belt and the top of the skirt [1] is closed and coverage on the hips [2] eliminates the flashes of skin in that area.

The "undershorts" smile.gif are highly visible most of the time. So, they should probably have some texture. I'm thinking maybe the tartan texture in a solid color (dark green or blue) or a dark, lacy pattern might work really well. That way only color shows up when there's a break in animation. And it's fast enough so that the darker "flash" wouldn't even be noticed. What do you think?

user posted image user posted image

No draft when rolling, jumping, tumbling -- dying --- lol

user posted image

This is a highlander jacket: user posted image ...though a better front for it might be: user posted image

I'm looking for some fabric samples that can be used to produce this effect. The piping and detail are actually probably easier to find. And the sash you mentioned would be perfect, fastened with that Children of Lir medallion and the Gunne crest on the shoulder.

I'm repacking the sounds I worked up for Vengeance now; don't want them to sound exactly the same. Once they're finalized, zipped and up there, I'll PM so you can have a listen and see if you like them.

In the meantime, I can't be the only one that has suggestions for this model! C'mon guys. You all had something to say about Jedi Desaan. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.