Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Does Anyone Play Online Anymore?

InfiniteWarrior
post Oct 30 2023, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Emperor

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Suffice to say, I think John Carmack is right and online games should work as they did roughly 20 years ago as opposed to relying on a central server that will eventually go offline. Or, should they?

So, I tried hopping into a game one evening (not JO) for the first time in years that does work that way. This was the result.

-- VPN kickban upon world initialization. (Of course, I'm using a VPN. So...?)
-- Server connection timeout shortly after completing the requisite, opening objectives.
-- Two (roughly) hour long sessions. I said, "Hi." At least one other person said, "hey" in return. And I was completely ignored for the remainder of both sessions. Might as well have been playing SP.
-- Joined a server,; said, "Hi; and received the following reply: "Who are you? How did you get this IP?" I said, "it's public" and it was immediately shut down. (Obviously a personal computer. The guy didn't know he'd set it to public.)

So, are you playing any games online these days? What's been your experience?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Nov 9 2023, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I've been playing way too much Overwatch (2) - which, is of course, centralized servers.

On the other side, I have a Minecraft server which I had shut down years ago, but recently resurrected as my son and his friends wanted to play again. This I run along side of the JK server(s). The great thing is, I can pick the version - and they wanted to play 1.12 (before the Pillager update). Good ol' fashion Minecraft, before all the "weight." Options. I like options that I can control.

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Nov 13 2023, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Emperor

Ditto on the options you can control.

Either way, seems to work best for team-based play of one kind or another (evolutions of CTF and the like), whether running with randoms or teaming up with friends, but not so much for "open world" freeplay. hmm.gif

No interest in PvP myself and not much happening on the PvE scene as far as I can tell. Still much prefer user-run servers, regardless of scripted kickbans. lol (Way too much intrusive bs otherwise.)

Thanks for the response. If anyone else is still around who'd like to chime in, I'm all ears.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Nov 15 2023, 09:56 PM
Post #4

Lord

It's an interesting question.

I bought Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (years ago) for my wife and I to play together (side-by-side at the same computer, basically taking turns). Set aside the fact that it was a walking simulator (ugh!) eventually, Lucas Arts decided the game's time was over. They were no longer going to run the servers and there would be a scripted "ending" to the game - which everyone in-game at the time would witness and participate in.

But, what if YOU (and your community of friends) weren't done with the game? There was no reason it had to end, aside of LA not wanting to pay the bill any longer.

Games like JO can literally live on as long as we want them to.

But, to your original point - should they?

Should Happy Days have gone off the air before it literally jumped the shark? Probably.

I don't know who/what is really the right answer here. Maybe there's more than one and is community dependent.

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Nov 21 2023, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Emperor

QUOTE(JayBaen @ Nov 15 2023, 10:56 PM)
Games like JO can literally live on as long as we want them to. But, to your original point - should they?

It'd be a shame if they were lost forever, which is Carmack's point. Modern, online games and game modes simply cease to exist all the time despite all the love (if any) and effort that went into them; the community bonds that were forged around them; etc. (Not sure that's such a terrible thing in some cases, considering what those actually are, but I digress.) But when it comes to the older games, younger generations are picking them up and enjoying them just as much as we did and do. That's not going to possible if the trend toward shutting them off, never to be seen again, and the elimination of user run servers continues as it is.

That it's come up at all in the industry itself is probably a good thing. Guess we'll see what happens.
+Quote Post
LPDarkJedi583
post Nov 22 2023, 11:36 PM
Post #6

Master

Member No.: 98

unfortunate when i got my new gaming rig, i had to download JK2 and Jk3 through steam and im lost on if I can add mods to the game or not. took me forever to find the multiplayer option

--------------------
user posted image
Forfeit the game / Before somebody else
Takes you out of the frame / Puts your name to shame
Cover up your face / You canít run the race
The pace is too fast / You just won't last
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Nov 25 2023, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Lord

QUOTE(LPDarkJedi583 @ Nov 23 2023, 12:36 AM)
unfortunate when i got my new gaming rig, i had to download JK2 and Jk3 through steam and im lost on if I can add mods to the game or not. took me forever to find the multiplayer option

LP - Yes, you can still add the mods - same process. Simply drop the mod directory into the JKO directory structure and it should just "see" it as it used to. You're gonna have to hunt that directory structure based on where your steam install put the games. Mine (and I think this is the default) are located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

There will be subfolders in there for any games you have purchased/downloaded from steam.

This is my Game directory for JKO (and where the mods subfolders live):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Outcast\GameData

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Dec 2 2023, 12:01 PM
Post #8

Emperor

QUOTE(JayBaen @ Nov 25 2023, 11:57 PM)
LP - Yes, you can still add the mods - same process.  Simply drop the mod directory into the JKO directory structure and it should just "see" it as it used to.  You're gonna have to hunt that directory structure based on where your steam install put the games.  Mine (and I think this is the default) are located in:

That process apparently has been automated in modern titles still using the end-user-server-friendly approach. (Rare. I know.) When I tried to connect to a server to play 7DTD, I couldn't imagine what was taking so long.(Haven't played on a user-run server in forever.) Turns out it was downloading the server config; any mods being run on that server; etc. A relatively long wait. Not sure how I feel about that, either. If my game is going to be modded, I'd just as soon do all that myself. They're generally hosted by professional outfits, but still....
+Quote Post
LPDarkJedi583
post Dec 2 2023, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Master

Member No.: 98

I jumped in earlier to walk around the map. forgot how big the maps were

--------------------
user posted image
Forfeit the game / Before somebody else
Takes you out of the frame / Puts your name to shame
Cover up your face / You canít run the race
The pace is too fast / You just won't last
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Dec 3 2023, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Emperor

QUOTE(LPDarkJedi583 @ Dec 2 2023, 07:51 PM)
I jumped in earlier to walk around the map. forgot how big the maps were

I hope you enjoyed your trip down memory lane? ^.^

I had to look it up to confirm, but they're able to accommodate up to 32 players. I don't think I ever saw that many at once, though I did see a lot now and then.
+Quote Post

Topic Options
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2024 - 10:12 AM