IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Outcast Multiplayer, Troubles with playing..

Tyrannus
post Aug 25 2003, 03:15 AM
Post #1

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 4

Most of the time I try to go into Outcast, I can't. I really can't. I open the game, click multiplayer. That craps loads in, then it switches to the next screen. Black, then that white. [i]That[/i] is my plight. It usually doesn't change from that screen because it has frozen. Rarely does it actually let me in the game, and that's happening less and less recently. If any of you have ideas for me, anything that might help with this problem, please tell me. I would not want to stop playing altogether until Jedi Academy, but I just might have to. It's too much of a hassle to keep trying to play, just to get a frozen screen and cumbersome and countless manual shutdown/restarting. Help an old fool.. if you can.. sad.gif

--Tyrannus the Hopeless

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Tyrannus - Master of wit, and quite deadly with a saber. Truly a wonder.. or so the "Legend" goes..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Aug 25 2003, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Try deleting your cfg files. Not only the cfgs in the academy folder, but your cfgs in the base folder as well... if you can't bring yourself to delete them, just move them so fresh ones are created.

Second, you can delete your 'servercache.cfg' as well. I think the only things that would be loading at that point are your jediknight2mp.cfg files, but hey, you never know.

Also, you can always try a reinstall (?)

Ruggierissimo

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Aug 25 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Lord

Member No.: 2

One other thing:

It sounds like your problem could be with your video settings: the yellow/white screen thingy happens as the game switches resolutions. A couple of suggestions: 1: try manually resetting your resolution to something different before starting the game.

2: on a Mac at least, I can hold down my 'option' key at startup (I think similar to your 'alt' key, but could be 'control' and I get a prompt to specify some video settings, etc. Maybe there is something similar for the PC?

Rugg

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Aug 25 2003, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Lord

Member No.: 3

Tyr,

You mentioned in game that deleting your .cfg files fixed your problem. Is this true?

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Tyrannus
post Aug 29 2003, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Master

Nope.. not in the least. It is obviously something to do with my video settings, which I suspected from the start. I won't get the chance to check now, though.. ugh! mad.gif

--------------------
Tyrannus - Master of wit, and quite deadly with a saber. Truly a wonder.. or so the "Legend" goes..
+Quote Post
Tyrannus
post Aug 29 2003, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Master

Screw Outcast for now.. help me with my Galaxies problem! (If you don't know about it, I can't get into even the log-in screen!)

--------------------
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Dec 14 2003, 01:49 AM
Post #7

Jedi

Group: Members
Member No.: 72

Hi.. To whom ever it may cocern,

I am in a real jam... For the past day or so.. my while i play JKII my game would just out of the blue freeze seizing my entire computer. I am unable to close game out.. or anything.. therfore i can never see if there is some kind of malfunction.. with the game.. I have attempted to reinstall the game 3 times today... in which case i think only made it worse.. If anyone could lend me some expertise on to what i could do .. because.. the problem has mad itself very frequent to about.. every 10 minutes.. as long as im not playing JKII my pc is fine.. of course... so someone plz let me know what the problem is... sad.gif I am in dire need of your help.. Thx..

plz feel free to contact me by any of the means i have left on the forums.. MSN AIM EMAIL anything... Thank you for your help... and thnx for reading...

-Sykes... sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
XeroSaber
post Dec 14 2003, 03:22 AM
Post #8

Master

Member No.: 15

yah, i was there when it was happening. i have no idea what to tell u though. maybe check ur grafx card? thats all i can think of. or maybe troubleshoot it? blah, im no good at this. sry! sad.gif
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Dec 14 2003, 09:47 AM
Post #9

Lord

Member No.: 3

Dark,

Sorry to hear about your issues. I do know that, in general, with any application, reinstalling it on top of itself over and over usually won't fix a problem. If you've gotten yourself to the point that it seems like your only option, at least make sure you've completely uninstalled the game first, then re-install. Otherwise, the settings that were creating your initial problem may follow you into the 'new' install. Some programs will leave specific .cfg files alone if it sees current ones in place at the right directory structure. Always uninstall first.

If a complete uninstall/reinstall doesn't fix the problem, then Outcast isn't where the problem is -- even if it only rears it's head there. Making sure you've got good drivers for your video and sound is important. If you don't know what that means, please ask.

Also, if the problem just started happening out of nowhere, ask yourself if there's [i]anything[/i] else you've installed recently, anything else that has changed, seemingly related, or not -- and start to (try and) back out of those changes.

Let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Dec 14 2003, 10:48 AM
Post #10

Jedi

well I did uninstall completely to my knowledge but i will try again... and as for... installing anything only thing that went on my pc is windows updates.. maybe that could be it either way i hope there is a way to fix it.. without having to f-disk and reformat and re-install my op sys.. cuz that would really piss me off.. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Dec 14 2003, 11:01 AM
Post #11

Emperor

Member No.: 20

This is probably too simple and may have been done, but...

When I optimize my hard drive, I see more fragmentations in JO files than in any other application running on my computer. (Go figure.) Every time it hiccups, every time it lags, every time there's a timeout, [b]something[/b] is affected.

I had the game freeze on me out of the blue like that once. The first thing I checked was how much fragmentation I had. Sure enough, I was a little overdue for a defrag, which I usually do once a week or so depending on the amount. Once done, the problem never resurfaced.

And I agree that if you need to reinstall, uninstall first. [u]Then[/u] go back and manually delete the fluff making sure that any custom config files, maps, skins, etc. you want to keep are preserved elsewhere. (I've stored the zips, so I don't need to worry about deleting the pk3s in the base folder. I'm sure you have, too.) Then you can either manually go through the mpconfig file freshly created by the newly installed game and re-institute your binds (much easier) or bind them again (Oi!).

There's nothing like a clean installation.

On a side note, be sure to back up that new config file so that, if your binds are lost, you can execute the backup in game. Just save a copy of it in the same directory with a name like "default.cfg" and if you find yourself in-game with factory default settings (hate when that happens; I can't even walk), you can just type "\exec default.cfg" in the console.
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Dec 16 2003, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Master

Member No.: 12

So DarkSykes... give us some news about the status of your JK2... I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet... so don't quit on me now smile.gif

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Dec 18 2003, 06:47 PM
Post #13

Jedi

Well it seems i have fixed the problem hopfully ... Hopfully it will allow me to play without crashing like it did before.. and then i can log on to the serve more frequently happy.gif my WinDoctor found 440 errors in my Active X once that was fixed and it corrected a few lost Shortcuts.. and i didnt have no problems since then... happy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Dec 25 2003, 04:07 PM
Post #14

Jedi

I seem to have run into the same little problem again.. but this time i have some form of information given to me by the game... When i freeze up and game starts to act funny if haev to fight it off by minimizing my game which isnt very easy.. if and when it does minimize itll stop.. but.. if i cant my computer will reboot itself.. When i do get it to stop i see a whole list of the same error in my console...

[img]http://www.angelfire.com/bug/wookiee/shot0017.jpg[/img]

if anyone can be a gem and help me to rid my self of this problem i would be so grateful... thanks for readind.. happy.gif hopfully this matter will be resolved so i can place normally again.. unsure.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post

Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:35 PM