Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Speaking Of Macs..., *Ducks*

InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 6 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Emperor

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

PCs are the ramshackle computers of the people. You can build your own from scratch, then customise it into oblivion. Sometimes you have to slap it to make it work properly, just like the Tardis (Doctor Who, incidentally, would definitely use a PC). PCs have charm; Macs ooze pretension. When I sit down to use a Mac, the first thing I think is, "I hate Macs", and then I think, "Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament only got one mouse button?" Losing that second mouse button feels like losing a limb.

I Hate Macs

Wait.... What about Feng Shui?! mad.gif (P.S. I secretly love Macs/Users, but he's right about Dr. Who, ya know. biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 6 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #2

Emperor

(But), that's what we PC owners are like - unreliable, idiosyncratic and gleefully unfair. And if you'll excuse me now, I feel an unexpected crash coming.

This week: Charlie watched some episodes of Larry Sanders (on his PC). He played the customised Fawlty Towers map for Counterstrike (on his PC). He listened to the Windows startup jingle every 10 minutes as his PC repeatedly rebooted itself.

And used his Chinese exercise balls to build up the finger muscles needed to operate a two-button mouse with with five extra buttons down the side to make up for his terrifyingly innaccurate aim, since (after all) we Windows users are pompous, klutzy, misdirected, miscreants out to rule the world. Right?

Why PCs are un-PC

Take it away Win/Mac warriors.
+Quote Post
Kyzene
post Feb 6 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 13

He played the customised Fawlty Towers map for Counterstrike (on his PC). He listened to the Windows startup jingle every 10 minutes as his PC repeatedly rebooted itself.

That doesn't sound like an average user experience to me.. I've never had an install of XP just freeze or need to be rebooted. And I like my mouse with just two buttons and a scroll wheel please!

--------------------
There is no such thing as luck, only mistakes and the people that take advantage of them.

Play Wild Jedi CTF in JA.
Visit Chop Shop for crazy CTF action.
Become a Pastafarian.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Feb 6 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #4

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

my mouse has 5 buttons, and a scroll wheel, punk.

BUT

the real story here, is that I may soon have....

A POWERFUL ALLY ON THE LIGHT SIDE OF THE FORCE

Don't you just WISH you knew who it was!

wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 7 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Emperor

Attached Image ?
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Feb 7 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Lord

Member No.: 3

OMG -

But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back. And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.

-- also ducking ...

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Feb 7 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #7

Lord

QUOTE(JayBaen @ Feb 7 2007, 07:43 AM)
And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.

Go ahead, go ahead laugh it up-- so you have found one article out there vs. the slew trashing Vista.

Go ahead, buy Vista. Pay for your hardware upgrades, and see if you enjoy the experience of M$oft's attempt to emulate the mac operating system of .... like 4 years ago.

Me? I am going to sit here happy as heck with my NEW SECRET ALLY.

wink.gif ph34r.gif cool.gif

Ruggiero

p.s. I bet that mac user probably wouldn't be using run-on sentences like your beloved author above...

--------------------
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Feb 7 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Lord

Member No.: 3

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...vs_tiger_01.asp

--------------------

"For Mac OS X users, however, Windows Vista engenders a sense of déjà vu. Isn't a lot of this stuff already in Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"?

Yes and no. For accuracy, I think it's important to compare Windows Vista Beta 1 to both Mac OS X Tiger and the promises that Microsoft made at the Professional Developers Conference (PDC) 2003, at which the company publicly revealed its plans for its next-generation Windows version. After all, Apple was clearly influenced by some of the technology Microsoft showed off back then and knew that it could come to market much more quickly than the software giant.

And before you fire up your email client to tell me about Apple patents, ideas from Copland, or other nonsense, relax. I'm not claiming that Microsoft "invented" anything. What I am claiming, however, is that Microsoft legitimatized certain technologies at PDC 2003 by announcing that they will be included in Windows, and that Apple seized on the opportunity to add those features--whether they were previously planned or not--in Tiger, which it knew would ship well before Windows Vista. For Apple, time to market is a competitive advantage and no one should begrudge them that."

---------------------

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Feb 7 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Lord

OK... Smack about to get layed down, with a great big oobawanga:

This is critical, and often overlooked (outside the Apple camp, anyway). Microsoft's release late and not-so-often mentality means that its users are half a decade behind the Mac world (and Linux, in some areas). Microsoft, because of its massive installed base, arguably has a harder time moving to a "perpetual beta" release mentality. But others, like Google, have shown that this objection is more perceived than real.

Mac OS X...[is] the classic English butler. This OS is designed to make the times you have to interact with it as quick and efficient as possible. It expects that things will work correctly, and therefore sees no reason to bother you with correct operation confirmations....
Windows is...well, Windows is very eager to tell you what's going on. Constantly. Plug something in, and you get a message. Unplug something and you get a message. If you're on a network that's having problems staying up, you'll get tons of messages telling you this. It's rather like dealing with an overexcited Boy Scout...who has a lifetime supply of chocolate-covered espresso beans. This gets particularly bad when you factor in things like the user-level implementation of Microsoft's new security features.

To put it simply, you can work on a Mac for hours, days even, and only minimally need to directly use the OS. With Vista? The OS demands your attention, constantly.

This consistency that has been a centerpiece of the Mac OS is something that, even with Vista, Microsoft still can't manage to pull off. Although there are many different UI styles available in Mac OS X, even within those different styles, there is a consistency that Windows just can't seem to hit.

Even with Microsoft applications, there's a feeling that, by and large, the only UI guidelines that Windows applications adhere to is "what we feel like." (I know Microsoft has a lot of UI guideline information, but since no one seems to follow any of it, I'm not sure what the point of it is.)

UAC doesn't offer real security enhancement, and  is  going to be called "User Annoyance Control." You get what is essentially an "Okay/Cancel" dialog that most users will hit "okay" for without thinking, you may or may not get useful information as to what is going on, and you get locked out of your system until you deal with this. I have a problem with seeing how annoying people is enhancing security. When I say "annoyance" I really mean "infuriate," because you get UAC dialogs all over the place, and you're never sure when or why you're going to get them.

However, is it significantly, or even slightly better than Mac OS X? Maybe in a couple of low-level ways, like the randomizing memory address usage function, or being able to use USB memory sticks as additional RAM, but at the human level? Not even close.

I've yet to see anything in Vista that blows away the Mac OS, even a version of the Mac OS that's over a year old. Microsoft still can't manage to make something simple and easy to use. Vista reeks of committee and design by massive consensus, while OS X shines from an intense focus on doing things in a simple, clear fashion and design for the user, not the programmer.

Maybe you should put your $250 towards a new Mac, rather than deal with all this junk!

--Ruggiero

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kyzene
post Feb 7 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #10

Master

Speaking of money:

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjec...1VbMkHIZ/7.?p=0

1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256
Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
160GB Serial ATA hard drive

Intel GMA 950 graphics with 64MB of shared memory

24x Combo Drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

17-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme

All for the amazing price of $999.00.

Or I could go to Dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...c=DXCWNF1&s=dhs

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300 (2MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066 FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel

256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Wait..this is $999 too!

Hm..that's.. A better processor, more RAM, more space, bigger display, the video options can't even begin to compare, all for the same price?! I think I know where my $250 is going.

--------------------
There is no such thing as luck, only mistakes and the people that take advantage of them.

Become a Pastafarian.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Feb 8 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #11

Lord

QUOTE(Kyzene @ Feb 7 2007, 09:42 PM)
Speaking of money:...blah blah blah

Let's compare, why don't we....

=========
A 20 inch iMac configured:

1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
250GB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
20-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Speakers
Integrated Video Camera
Apple-Remote
iLife Bundled
(iPhoto,
iDVD,
iTunes,
GarageBand)
Mail, Safari,
DVD player,
Disk Authoring etc.
Firewall, sharing,
data-migration etc.

All built-in to the OS

Piles of other software:
(Video/audio-chat, voice-recognition, etc)

$1,634.00

====================
====================
====================
====================

Your Dell.... to get it CLOSE to the same specs
You have to add:

Wireless keyboard/mouse
Remote control
Video Camera
Speakers
Firewire 800
Airport (802.11N)
BlueTooth
I couldn't even FIND DVD authoring (not just burning) software like iDVD
Couldn't find anything like GarageBand
... and the graphics card below is still a model below the iMac's ohmy.gif !!!

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Dell AS501PA 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for Analog Flat Panels
Single TV Tuner with Remote Control
MX 3200 Laser Cordless Keyboard and Mouse
Logitech QuickCam Fusion Web Camera
Netgear WN121T RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter
IEEE 1394 Adapter
My Software
McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
Corel Snapfire Premium -
Detto IntelliMover

$1803

Just thought you would like to know.... tongue.gif

It's hard being wrong, all the time, Kyzene, I know. But just take consolation in the fact that you are not alone.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--Ruggiero

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheLizardKing
post Feb 8 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #12

Secretive Rodian Lover Hater

Member No.: 1

I think someone was just served.

--------------------
AS;LDJFA;LSKFADS
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 8 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Emperor

Uh-huh. Just what I thought!

You guys have all this time to throw numbers around. Why aren't you doing it on the server? tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Feb 9 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #14

Lord

I think someone was just served.

On a platter.

QUOTE(InfiniteWarrior @ Feb 8 2007, 09:37 PM)
You guys have all this time to throw numbers around. Why aren't you doing it on the server? tongue.gif

OK.... I THINK ... Friday night, say, after nine-ish I should be able to get on the server of doom. Will keep you posted.

Ruggiero

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kyzene
post Feb 9 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #15

Master

So many ridiculous things added on..

$100 wireless keyboard and mouse...why? I like my things plugged in, especially for that price. Wireless USB adapter? I like not having unexplained connection troubles when I play my games, thanks. TV tuner? I have a TV..why would I want this? Does anything even use firewire anymore? I'm pretty sure that everything is USB now. Detto Intellimover? Are you serious? Advanced copy and paste, woo! And my 16X drive is better than your 8X drive, too..you'll need to upgrade that. So, after getting rid of everything that was ridiculously priced.. my new price comes to $1,219, from Dell. Now, just for laughs, if I built it on my own:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz processor)(I get this game free.) A shame you can't play it on a Mac OS sad.gif
Windows Vista Home Premium
Jetway motherboard
2 GB of RAM
Dual Radeon X1600 256 MB Video cards
250 GB SATA hard drive
Keyboard + Mouse
5.1 Gaming speakers
20" LCD Monitor
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Keyboard
And I even bought a shiny case

It comes to:
user posted image
With the $200 extra I have I could take advantage of the 16GB of RAM limit on my motherboard..

How much would a Mac like that set me back?

--------------------

Become a Pastafarian.
+Quote Post

3 Pages  1 2 3 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:50 AM