IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Login Commands Are Non-responsive, in the JA Mod.

whoiga
post Nov 24 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 189

Greetings RJ. I am Whoiga, a council member at SOD.

I'm pretty well-rounded with handling jk2 servers, cfgs, and game troubleshooting, but lately one of my members who is a jk admin came across a problem shortly after we promoted him to have jk admin status.

Used to, he could login using the /jklogin command and everything worked fine. Then on one random day he attempted the command, and neither the game nor the server responded to the command. There wasn't even an "invalid password" error message. There's just nothing after he enters the command or hits his bind. Afterwards he has tried several admin commands and then he would get the "you are not logged in as an admin" error message.

Not a single one of our other admins, whether AM or JK have experienced such a problem. So that led me to believe it was something to do with him and not the server.

I had him create a cfg that would execute the login command and do /exec configname.cfg instead of /jklogin password. This worked for everyone else, but not him.

He's uninstalled his game and reinstalled, as well as removing everything from his base folders and completely getting any remnants of jk2 off of his computer, and then reinstalling.

He still has this problem. I've never heard of the problem before and I'm not sure what else to try.

I need him to be able to login and I don't know what else to try, so i'm seeking outside help.

If this problem has been discussed here before, forgive me for not searching as my internet is being slow today.

Thank you for your time and any advice! Laterz.

--------------------
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Nov 25 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Welcome to the forums, Whoiga.

Nice explanation of the issue and current troubleshooting -- that always helps when trying to aid someone .. smile.gif I can't say this particular problem has been discussed here before, though we have had a few anomalies to specific players that have been cleared up by removing any game created .cfg files from their machines (jk2mpconfig.cfg, etc -- things of these natures).

If that hasn't worked (which we assume by your post, in removing the game he's *really* gotten rid of all these as well), maybe a little more troubleshooting is in order:

* is there another machine located on the same network (home, college, work, etc) that he (for testing) can install the game and connect to see if he can run commands? If he has the same problem, this will remove his network devices (routers/firewalls, etc) from being the issue. I can't imagine how they would be if he has no issue connecting to the game -- but it's helpful to know what you're *not* troubleshooting ...

* do you have the ability to load a different mod than Academy serverside (for testing -- or remove the mod all together and temporarilly use /rcon to execute commands for a day) and have him and other admins execute commands? That won't necessarily tell you if it's Academy on his end or yours, but seemingly would narrow it down to the mod.

* what if he clears his configs and joins the game with a different name, can he log in?

* is his IP static or dynamic? If dynamic, can he force it to change, rejoin and login?

(I'm beginning to grasp here -- but trying to throw anything out that will force the game engine, either his side or yours, to see his connection as a different entity than his current).

Let me know if any of these things get you further down the road or not.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
whoiga
post Nov 26 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #3

Padawan

Alrighty, he and I will run all of those tests.

Thank you for the advice. I'll return, especially if we narrow it down any further.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
whoiga
post Nov 26 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #4

Padawan

Well, good news. He worked his way through your suggestions and now he can login without any problem. I guess there was a conflicting file somewhere but this time he managed to get rid of it.

Thanks again for the help. RJ is always welcome on SOD turf.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Nov 26 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #5

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Glad to know we could help. Look for us online sometime .. smile.gif

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post

Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 AM