Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Server Logs

Equanimity
post Jan 11 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 27

Ok, what I'm proposing here, I assume, is VERY HARD to implement. So don't scream at me if what I'm asking is outlandish.

Is there any way to add a feature to our website which actively ports all the activity from the server logs and places it onto a constantly updated Java (or some other mechanism) field which we can monitor from the RJ only section?

Also, is there any way to discover someone's IP address? Is it possible to log these as well?

These are hypothetical questions coming from an idiot who knows nothing about websites, so please forgive me if I'm saying something inane. smile.gif

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 11 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Very timely that you should ask that ...

Deacon and I are working on that very thing. There are a few different "logparsers" that are already available and can generate items such as Clan Stats from our exisiting logs. They aren't quite sophisticated enough to do the admin tools for which we'd like to use them (like IP tracking for instance) ... but that information IS in the logs, it's just an issue of pulling it out.

We are trying to bend and existing statistics parser to do just that. We'll keep you posted on how the progress goes.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Deacon
post Jan 12 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Master

Member No.: 29

Jay, I have some more info regarding the logs and such. As you know, voodoo stats is dead. Psycostats is not at q3 yet. There is a new stats app called nstats. This is new, but it looks interesting.

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
We should discuss this before proceeding as the app costs $$. Also, the developers are willing to put in anything we want (within reason). They were very interested in working with up since they need jo and ja log files to test with.

IM me at some point so that we may discuss these options.

--Deacon

--------------------

=============================================

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

Yellow is golden, but Red is quicker!
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 12 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Master

How much does it cost?

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
+Quote Post
Deacon
post Jan 12 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #5

Master

1 Million Dollars.... Muhahaha MuHAhaha MuHAHAhaHA!

Actually, it costs $35 per server running (non-commercial use) I'm going to get it for my DoD server and see how well it works.

Here are out options as they stand:
    Write our own app
    Re-write Psychostats 1.9
    Wait for Psychostats 2.0 to release and then wait for the q3 logging support
    Buy nstats
    A combination of all of the above
--Deacon

--------------------

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 12 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Lord

I wouldn't be opposed to any of the options ... here's 2 more cents:

In the ultimate scenario, it would be great to write our own. We may be able to beg and borrow from some existing scripts, adding what we need and complie using Visual Basic. We'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes ...

If that becomes more work than we'd like, I wouldn't mind the nstats option, as we'd get to be in on the creation from the ground up.

Finally, PsychoStats is becoming an online gamining community standard. Many hosting companies (including our own XGS) already support the use of PsychoStats. If we can "skin" a flavor of that to match JK, (which I know ChosenOne has already inquired about), that would be a grand option, too.

Deacon ... we'll chat.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Deacon
post Jan 12 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Master

But what, THERE'S MORE.

The folks at nstat are from "Down Under." They tell me that many GSP are buying their software. This means that along with pstats, the folks who host RJ's server might also support this app. That being said, the advantage of nstat is that it is live. Stats are sent to your remote (or local) server in realtime. They intend to support modules or pluggin that will make it easier to support mods like JediMod or AdminMod.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Jay, let's use teamspeak or AOL as the nstats folks flood my messenger every single time I log on. sad.gif

Thanks,

--Deacon

--------------------

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 12 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Master

How hard are these things to code? I gather that it's quite a task, though I don't know which of us has the skillsets necessary to pull it off. Of course, if we COULD code it ourselves, that would be a rather awesome feat.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 13 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #9

Lord

Unfortunately, it's a little harder than it looks (for those of us still fledling Visual Basic folks), and besides -- why re-invent the wheel if we dont need to.

Deacon, one of the other had a "real-time" option as well ... was it Voodoostats? (talk about a script that would need reworking -- as if that's possible with that app).

BTW, do you find it encouraging that the nStats people are hounding you already ? happy.gif

I apologize for not getting with any of you "live" the last couple of days, the new business is keeping me a bit busier than planned this week. Glad we've got the forums to catch up.

Deacon, I'll make time later today (Tues) if you've got some.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 13 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Master

Re-inventing the wheel is definitely positive if existing wheels are square. wink.gif

Plus, re-inventing the wheel is cheaper...(well, in our case).

Anyhow, I understand the difficulty involved, and, despite my aforementioned opinions, support "procuring" (wink.gif) a commercial version.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 14 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #11

Master

Member No.: 12

I talked to Deaon yesterday on the server... and I just wanted to offer my help if you need something to be done in PHP... but like I said... I can make it work... but it won't be pretty smile.gif

So we would need Liz and his skillful hand at web design to make this thing work AND pretty biggrin.gif

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 14 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #12

Lord

Thx Beast ...

The initial step is still going to be actually parsing the data out of the logs (the stuff we want), into either an array, another text file, or a database (mySQL probably).

THEN

The php web front end comes in.

I'll let you know.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 14 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Master

***Totally unrelated to thread***

You know what would be really awesome??? If we could have this program capture what people say on the server (real-time) also, cause then we could have conversations with people who are talking from outside the server while on the inside.

Is this feasible?

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 14 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #14

Master

Member No.: 12

Jay: I know... that there is a lot to do before the PHP front end... I just thought I could lend a hand if needed... so don't be afraid to contat me if the need arise...smile.gif

EQ: I remember that we already thought about doing something like that (matching the rcon command with a 'real-time' log parser)... but I think it was branded as too difficult... of not feasible... but because we are working on a log parser... maybe we can make it do this...smile.gif

I think it's worth looking into again

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 15 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #15

Master

Just out of morbid curiosity...how long does it take to create and set up something of this magnitude? I'm sorta curious as to how large a project this is turning out to be.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:49 PM