IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 > 

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Ideas For V2 Of Rjduelarena, Thoughts on improvement.

JayBaen
post Jun 17 2003, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm pulling for:

1) Some new texturing for the outside area at the top.

2) A private area that is accessible to RJs-Only.

3) Other ways to get to the top level besides the center elevator(s).

4) Moving the respawn points so that they are not in way of what have become common dueling areas.

Lots of people love the map, huma ... I'm sure the next version will triple it's coolness.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
XeroSaber
post Jun 18 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

awww. if he puts an RJ only section, would i be allowed into it?! sad.gif

Xero
+Quote Post
Defster
post Jun 18 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Padawan

Member No.: 16

Actually, we were wondering, if we made the private room have a door that could only be opened from the inside, would there be a way you could get inside the room to open it?
The outside texturing and spawn loc movenment is definite. We may attempt custom textures.
Another thing... we want to completely redo the towers to make them more useful. Any suggestions? We do plan to make more ways up/down inside each tower.
We are considering 4 slightly raised spots (probably octagons) outside between each tower.
Any comments/suggeestions would be extremely helpful.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jun 19 2003, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Lord

Defster!!

So glad to see that you've joined us here on the forums ... esp for the second version of your fabulous co-written map.

There would be a way to have someone (an admin) get inside the room by Teleporting into it --- as long as we keep running Academy Mod.

I know Ruggiero had some ideas for some custom textures. You may want to confirm that with him.

I'll have to wander around the tower area and see if anything comes to mind concerning them, maybe they could server some additional function as you re-do the spawn points -- spawn into the towers somewhere ... at least it would be out of the way.

And no Xero ... you would really have to have remained a member of RJ to reap it's benefits .... tongue.gif

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Jun 19 2003, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Lord

Member No.: 2

Defster,

Thanks for asking our opinions. And... of course... as most know, I am happy to offer mine!

First, I would like to say that the map as it is now, is great: functional, high fps, etc. These things should not be sacrificed for the sake of 'eye-candy.'

I suppose what I will do is say the things I LIKE about the current map, then the things I think could be improved, and then whatever ideas I might throw in regarding any future 'alterations.'

What I like:

1: functionality. It is easy to get from place to place, with a minimum of time spent running around.
2: High fps
3: the dueling areas in the basement are perfect, except the mystery door leading nowhere.......

What could be "improved"

1: the color of the central octagon is a bit dark. it is easy to lose dueling partners in the dark, esp. those with dark skins.
2: the rock texture is a bit high contrast, making it a little hard on the eyes in the courtyards.
3: the table and glasses in the basement is a little gratuitous, and unnecessary Rarely do people congregate there to 'chat.' usually it is on the top walkways or on the center octagon.

alterations:

I am not a fan of the any more raised octagons: it is first of all common: every map seems to have octagons. Second, for instance, in the fishtank at cloudshark, the slightly raised octagon screws up duels a little. I always find myself wanting to duel on the flat floor.

The map is symmetrical. I understand that that is part of its appeal, but, perhaps what could be added is a grand courtyard off of one side of it. So the whole map would become more of a 'rectangle' with the already-existing square 'castle-area' at one end. Getting around could be facilitated through tele-points if you needed: like in cloudshark, but if one of the walls had a doorway into the courtyard, that would probably do as well.

I am curious why no dueling areas are 'triangular.' Perhaps the grand courtyard could be a triangle... Or... As you have it, the map is a square, within which is another square (bounded by the towers) within which is the octagon. What IF ( smile.gif ) the outermost square was rotated 45 degrees, and made larger to accommodate the inner square? that would slightly offset the symmetrical feeling, while still keeping the map coherent and tight, and easy to get around.

Symmetry makes the map a little difficult to navigate: every side looks similar, so it is hard to 'remember' where certain people are: I often find myself running all the way around to find the person I just dueled (and lost to). If, for instance, (in my above square-within-a-diamond "plan," two walls of the diamond were notably different from the other two, then the navigation problem/getting one's bearings, etc. would be simplified. If you do NOT want to discard the current 'plan' then shifting the textures (or adding a decal) on each 'outside-wall' would probably help. Perhaps even adding different colors to each tower would do the trick.

Secret Room. I think that is a good idea, and, with that, the table chairs, etc. can be discarded.

Lastly, textures: the rock textures are a little busy, as I noted above, and can get hard on the eyes. Perhaps they can be made to be lower-contrast, or switched (if that is easy-enough to do) Another help might be to change the texture on the floor to something easier on the eyes.

I am also happy to make custom textures for you guys, or custom decals, as needed. I sent an example to huma a while ago of a texture, and would be happy to do them for you. Just let me know if you need them to repeat or not.

Anyway, I am excited to see what you come up with! And, despite all my suggestions, I really like the rjduelarena map as it is, so perhaps the solution is not to revise it, but to add to "RJ-Duel-Arena" the RJ-HEADQUARTERS!

Thank you for all your time and help with this. I am curious also to what others think of these suggestions.

Ruggiero

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
Defster
post Jun 19 2003, 02:15 PM
Post #6

Padawan

Ive got my ideas about the secret room, because it wont matter if I sacrifice fps in there...

We're considering making the dark room much darker. We had experimented with darker during making it at first, but huma didnt like it. It was extremely disorienting, but I found it a lot of fun to duel there, and I never see that foom being used anyway.

We're planning changing all the textures outside, if we can. Should we still keep the same castle-like theme outside though?

I kinda like the symmetry, but maybe I could offset the towers and stuff...
+Quote Post
Huma-Gaidin
post Jun 19 2003, 02:25 PM
Post #7

Padawan

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 5

you mean.... my towers? ;D

-Well either way, most of the ideas you're talking about rugg/jay/random bum will probably be implemented. The only question we really have
what theme we should redo the top as, we can't really do temple theme... they're all rocks. All in all, I think the best bet to make it easy on the eyes
would be some type of futuristic theme for the topside. If you have any more ideas, please let myself, or my personal slave (defster) know.

ph34r.gif <---- uber ninja! D=
+Quote Post
Defster
post Jun 19 2003, 02:33 PM
Post #8

Padawan

well, i suppose i will be doing all the work, BUM!
+Quote Post
Butter-Bean
post Jun 19 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #9

Padawan

Member No.: 10

mad.gif While ur at it make that big door lead somewhere

--------------------
B~B
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jun 19 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Lord

//me still shaking off the sleep from Rugg's post ... biggrin.gif

I do agree with the whole 'easy on the eyes' thing. I know that my skin gets a bit lost up there.

I think people tend to congregate in either the top or the bottom ... collectively. We'll have some days where no one is in the 'arenas' and other days where no one is up top. How odd would it be to have some 'transparency' going between the some of the tiles between the ceiling of the arenas and the floor of the topside --- so that one could feel part of either area, no matter where you were dueling? Almost like having sunlight from outside coming into the arenas below -- and you could actually see through them. Is that to strange? It may be cooler in my head than in reality.

Just another one to chew on ....

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Defster
post Jun 19 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #11

Padawan

that would be quite strange... but we could see how it works.

And the big hangar door will lead somewhere, but you may not be able to get in. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jun 20 2003, 06:14 AM
Post #12

Lord

You're right ... it probably is quite strange ...

Keep in mind, I'm only imagining a couple of tiles above each arena ... not the entire ceiling. (Yes, that could still be very strange .. smile.gif )

Thanks again for your work on this. Post when you've got some progress.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Huma-Gaidin
post Jun 23 2003, 06:32 PM
Post #13

Padawan

Member No.: 5

I'll start working on the map after defster gives me the hard copy of the new one biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jun 24 2003, 06:58 AM
Post #14

Lord

Tell Defster I'll double his salary if he can put a rush on that .. tongue.gif

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Tyrannus
post Jun 24 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #15

Master

Member No.: 4

I thinking .. a huge Tyrannus statue. Yes .. sounds just lovely.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Tyrannus - Master of wit, and quite deadly with a saber. Truly a wonder.. or so the "Legend" goes..
+Quote Post

3 Pages  1 2 3 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:44 AM