Server Logs

JayBaen
post Jan 15 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #16

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Longer than it seems like the day ever allows .. sad.gif

BTW, we are finding some scripts that take logs nearly 'realtime' and push their info into a pre-parser, then into html code. Some of them may work for our needs, some may not. We're trying to hybrid something so that it will do EXACTLY what we want.

One of the pre-fab ones that does most of what we'd like is here.

Just a sneak peak at what Deacon and I are spending our time wading through. This data has been collected from some brand new logs (this entire past week) and a couple of old logs.

Notice who's still 'king' of the forest ...

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 15 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #17

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 27

Some of those stats I have trouble believing...I mean...the last time I saw Butter-Bean was like 5 months ago, yet for some reason, he's still listed there. Unless there is a way to limit the statistics used in calculation to the time span of say...1 month, or 1 week, then some of these stats could get really weird. What do you guys think?

The interface isn't bad at all though. smile.gif

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 15 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #18

Lord

Well,

The stats are from various (and a rather sporadic collection of) server logs -- a few very new .. and a few old. If we were to use this, I would start the stats over "fresh," this data is for testing only.

The way this particular parser comes to it's calculations is not simply by frags, but rather ratios of frags to deaths, etc. (check the FAQ on the stats site for the details).

Yes, this can be truncated to only keep track of a certain time period of stats, either by limiting the range of dates, or by removing the older logs from the parsing all together.

It's pretty amazing how much information is collected.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 15 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #19

Master

Well, regardless of my little gripes about the data used, which you addressed as easily fixed, I have to say that our server would be improved significantly with the level of detail and data that these programs can track. Simply amazing.

Incidentally, I loved seeing the obscene lead Liz had over everyone else...reminded me of some good times.

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 15 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #20

Lord

No kidding,

And that's the advantage of a parser like this one -- it really measures accuracy as well as frags (note the "best of" page).

JB

... also, the "alias list" we're coming up with will be of great help to this effort, as we can lump many aliases under one name (as I've done with some of ours already).

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 15 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #21

Master

Ok, another complicated suggestion from someone who knows nothing about the topic. biggrin.gif

Why not link each IP to one name, that name being the name that is MOST FREQUENTLY associated with the IP. For example, I may appear on the server as Padawan, but I'm more often there as -=RJ=-Equanimity, so, that would be the name associated with my IP.

Also, I looked again at the "best of" section, but I don't seem to see any mention of accuracy. Where are you seeing this?

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 16 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #22

Lord

Accuracy is how the "ranking" is calculated at all.

Check the FAQ page to see the description of the calc.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 16 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #23

Master

AEStats seems pretty comprehensive. What features would you say it is missing?

I see on their website that they offer a free public download, but I'm not sure if this is a full version or not. Is this one of the free programs or do they charge for it?

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Jan 16 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #24

Lord

Member No.: 2

"The interesting thing," the rodian said in his own self-interest, "is that there are two ways of calculating rank. The previous version of a stats monitor had Jay and Rugg on top... Perhaps this one has different ways of calculating ranks... and perhaps it could be presented a bit more intuitively...."

And with that the assembled jedis collectively force-pushed him off the mountaintop.

Rugg

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 16 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #25

Lord

Actually, had I been able to cumulatively parse the logs with the other stats engines, they probably would have turned out similarly.

Note: I've removed the older logs and only parsed the ones from the last three days to save Rugg's ego. Recheck the site.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 16 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #26

Master

Having these stats could pose one drawback...it could attract people who would join the server solely to get themselves ranked. While it is GOOD to be in the company of competitive people, I think it could have a negative impact on the overall ambience of the server if our normal business were constantly interrupted by twelve year old children trying to prove their self-worth by proclaiming what "1337" duelers they all are.

Just a thought, but I still love the idea, especially if we can be sure that only mature people will be using it. smile.gif

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 17 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #27

Lord

We can never be sure of anythng ...

If we simply conduct our business as usual, life should be fine. I'm all for the competitive play, in fact, we need more of it.

We've all had fun poking at each other with csports.net and it hasn't caused any 'issues' as of yet .. smile.gif

Step 2 of all this is to write a parser of our own to pull IP addresses for admin purposes (we're not finding ANYTHING out there that does this) ... then, we'll be in business.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 17 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #28

Master

It's not us or our regulars that I worry about. wink.gif But...again, when the time comes, we will deal. I just like playing devil's advocate from time to time. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post

2 Pages < 1 2
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:37 AM