IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How Do You Rugg!, Things i need to know....

Slicer
post Oct 31 2003, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

1. How do you make that slippery thing in rj sub 2? a clan member and i are on to a really cool map. We have most of the architecure down. I want to have a large ring with that slippery thing so it could be like a fun FFA arena.

2. Exactly how much lighting did u use? Did u use a big one with a lot of brightness? or alot of lights? How well do null_info and light entities with spot lights work? Where u connect them.

3. If you have a sky box does that mean there are no leaks?

4. okay...i really hope u tell me...how did u do that secret in RJ Sublime v2? The platform thing. Please....Bfoss and i (really just me but i want to incorperate it) want to make a secret area like above the real map that u teleport, members only. U concealed that secret so well.....just wondering how u did it.

5. How did u do custom texturing? What kind of file did u do save it in? jpg, gif, bitmap, etc.

6. Also how did u compile all this? what did u save as a pk3? What is the file setup? For example in skinning u need to pk3: models>players>(skinname). It wont work anyother way.

--------------------
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Nov 1 2003, 09:13 AM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Slicer ...

So you know, Rugg may be in and out with his internet at the moment (he's moving). I'm sure he'll answer you as soon as he gets the chance.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Nov 5 2003, 09:32 AM
Post #3

Lord

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Slicer @ Oct 31 2003, 07:49 PM)
1. How do you make that slippery thing in rj sub 2?  a clan member and i are on to a really cool map.  We have most of the architecure down.  I want to have a large ring with that slippery thing so it could be like a fun FFA arena.

2.  Exactly how much lighting did u use?  Did u use a big one with a lot of brightness?  or alot of lights?  How well do null_info and light entities with spot lights work?  Where u connect them.

3. If you have a sky box does that mean there are no leaks?

4. okay...i  really hope u tell me...how did u do that secret in RJ Sublime v2?  The platform thing.  Please....Bfoss and i (really just me but i want to incorperate it) want to make a secret area like above the real map that u teleport, members only.  U concealed that secret so well.....just wondering how u did it.

5. How did u do custom texturing?  What kind of file did u do save it in?  jpg, gif, bitmap, etc.

6. Also how did u compile all this?   what did u save as a pk3?  What is the file setup?  For example in skinning u need to pk3: models>players>(skinname).  It wont work anyother way.

OK, Slicer, I will do my best to answer.

1) I used textures/Yavin/waterfall for the slippery thing. it was a wide flat brush which was only a couple units deep. I think there is a system texture called "slick" which might work as well.

For Sublime 2 I made my own texture and shader for the waterfall.

2) A LOT OF LIGHTS not one big one. And info_null entities and spotlights work fine, you just have to get the hang of it. Each pillar in Sublime has a nice light-blue spot on it. As does every instance of our logo.

3) I have no idea what you mean by this question. You can not have leaks in your map.

4) What about the platform? The 'control box' that you teleport to is simply made of 'textures/system/physics_clip which does not show up in the game. The platform is simply a huge door that goes up, and comes down over an hour later.

5) Adobe Photoshop. Jpeg. DO NOT use "progressive" jpegs.

Any more questions?

Rugg

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
Slicer
post Dec 2 2003, 07:19 PM
Post #4

Padawan

k um
1. how u make respawnable tauntauns
2. button that makes 20 seeker droids spawn
3. i have 2101 LIGHTS with 1000 brightness. my map is big. and im pretty sure i did something wrong. see i have a huge outdoor place in my map. so hard for the lighting. i have a yavin mp sky shader that is lighted with out light entites. but i thot sky shaders made it so u dont have to make ANY light enteties to the outside. i think its the jk2 yavin.
4. i have walls after the skybox and its a good body length away. in game if u go far enough from a wall the wall starts to disapear at an angle and u see right through it.
5. i need to know how to make torches.

and i know there is a way to get to the control box without using the teleport command that only rj;s know....but its ok i wont have any secrets in my first version of my map.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Slicer
post Dec 2 2003, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Padawan

ok and for convienience u can see the beginnings of my map with a .map file. im using gtk radient the latest version. and i swear if u ripoff my map mad.gif *so angry no words to explain it*.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  hot_academy.map ( 237.81k ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Slicer
post Dec 4 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #6

Padawan

o ya i solved that problem i had long time ago. loading the map in game. never knew what u meant by starting up. thot u meant load any old map. and then do it as ur loading. just learned u guys meant main menu lol. and i would appreciate it if u answer my questions.

also when ever i plan to play on ur server in JA no ones there...Its RJ JA Test right? Wanna play on ur server with rj sublime biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Dec 4 2003, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Lord

QUOTE(Slicer @ Dec 2 2003, 07:19 PM)
k um
1. how u make respawnable tauntauns
2. button that makes 20 seeker droids spawn
3. i have 2101 LIGHTS with 1000 brightness.  my map is big.  and im pretty sure i did something wrong.  see i have a huge outdoor place in my map.  so hard for the lighting.  i have a yavin mp sky shader that is lighted with out light entites.  but i thot sky shaders made it so u dont have to make ANY light enteties to the outside.  i think its the jk2 yavin.
4. i have walls after the skybox and its a good body length away.  in game if u go far enough from a wall the wall starts to disapear at an angle and u see right through it.
5. i need to know how to make torches.

and i know there is a way to get to the control box without using the teleport command that only rj;s know....but its ok i wont have any secrets in my first version of my map.

1To respawn tauntauns... hmm. You have to invoke a 'spawnscript' in your worldspawn entity. There is a tutorial put out by a raven guy that will do it for swoop bikes... and you just adapt the spawning entities to be tauntauns. I would check out the Raven Forums for help on this one... or the MapCenter forums. It is too complicated to explain...

http://map-center.com/modules.php?name=For...=viewforum&f=25

2 make a trigger... make its target "seeker" then make 20 seeker drones, and add the field targetname and value 'seeker.' It should spawn them. You might have to put a target activate in between them.

3 That sounds AWFULLY big for the lights. For example, the large green area in Sublime (where everyone duels only has like 8-10 lights in it (not including little spotlights on things.) However, their brightness is about 4000, if memory serves.

4 that is a problem with skyboxes. it is hard to get around... you might try the 'antiportal' shader, but I did not have much luck with it. just try and put walls where things start appearing.

5 Torches involve FX runners. Check out rich deisels tutorials at http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/

--------------------
+Quote Post
Slicer
post Dec 7 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #8

Padawan

omg.......HELL NO! i deleted my .map file somehow....and i cant figure out how to save the code as a .map file. im screwed.

sad.gif Y! anyone know how to convert pure code into a .map file............y do i do this to myself.

edit: thank god for the recycle bin. laugh.gif whew.....

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Slicer
post Jan 16 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #9

Padawan

ah yes. how big was ur map? in height, and x and y.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Jan 16 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Lord

in total, sub3 is about 9000 wide, 9000 long, and 5000 high.

Rugg

--------------------
+Quote Post
Slicer
post Jan 17 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #11

Padawan

I see....so how did u make ur skyboxes? u cant connect sky boxes. i tried. u get leaks with the smearing stuff. sky boxes have to have 6 sides. u cant make a wall using a sky texture. u have the night sky and the sky on the pad.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post

Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:31 PM