Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Aoshi Shinomori, Help!

InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 8 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Emperor

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Long story short... someone wants this skin, but there is no Aoshi model. There is a Dante model - which is very close, but needs a few alterations. Dante's author is busy w/other projects, but sent the necessary files to create Aoshi.

So... can anyone point me to a few places modelers might hang out so that I can put out a request for the necessary changes?

----------------------

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 8 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #2

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 12

Well that depend on how long you are willing to wait for this model.

1. You can try the Jk2files Forums... some good modelers hangs out there
2. You can also try the LucasForums... though I'll doubt you'll find what you want
3. There is also... the Bête smile.gif

The third option will take more time though

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
OneWingAngel
post Jan 8 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #3

Master

Member No.: 7

I'm doing a skin of the dante model and from the hours I've spent starring at it it looks to be almost exactly what you need, no alterations needed, and just a tweek on the nose.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 8 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #4

Emperor

It is. Almost exactly. I was so lucky to find it. smile.gif Even the nose is perfect, judging by other pics I've been sent. There are just a couple of places that need "smoothing out".
  • The hair is too, too close. But, it's too long in back and has those layers sticking out. Aoshi's is shorter through there and forms to the neck.

• The coat is nearly perfect for Aoshi, except that Dante's sleeves are rolled up, with the cuffs sticking out at the elbows. The shirt sleeves seem to extend far enough to make up for the for the rest. In fact, the Dante skinner didn't completely cover that part. (The belt could be done w/skinning, too, I think. The other coat details, of course, only I would miss.)

• The calves. Aoshi has a sleek, pencil-legged look that extends to the top of his shoes. The top-of-the-shoes part can be done w/skinning, also. But, Dante's pants stick out at the top of the boots. Kinda ruins the "sleekness" factor. sad.gif
I wouldn't prevail upon you Mr. Bete, considering how many other projects you're working on, unless you're just really, really, really interested. smile.gif It would be nice to know about how much work/time you think it would entail, tho. Doesn't seem like much, so I'd be willing to wait a bit.

For the sake of comparison...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 9 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Master

Well Infi.... it also depend on what file the 'creator' of the Dante model shared with you.

If you have in your possession, the original 3D Studio Max file with the model already 'weighted'... then this will be a breeze... I think about an hour or 2 of modeling and some testing... so this could be done in a day.

But in the case of you NOT having those file... then I would have to import the model.glm file (of the Dante Model) into 3D studio Max... and it means I'll have to redo completely the weighting of the model and that could take me a complete day... and some extended time of testing... So the second option, would be more like 2 weeks to a month for this project (because I don't have enough free time to spend that day in only 1 day smile.gif)

Waiting for your reply

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 9 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Emperor

Well, he sent two files: dante.3DS and dante.max. I'm hoping that means it doesn't have to be imported and re-weighted. Then, all it would need is a little less wind under the hair, removal of the coat cuffs and smoothing of the pants.
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 9 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #7

Master

then it should be a breeze... a walk in the park... well kind of easy.

So you can always send me the files and I'll see what I can do.

- Beast

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 11 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #8

Master

Well... here is what I got

If you like what you see Infi... you can get the 'model.glm' here smile.gif

You shouldn't have problem skinning him (if you're doing the work)... but you'll have play around with the 'head.tga' to find out which part is displayed and what part aren't... cause I deleted some of the polygons and I don't really know which part of the head.tga file they were using. For the legs... it should be OK... but for the arms... be advised that I also deleted some polygons there... but it's kind of hard to explain how it will affect the skin file.

I'll give it a try...

The rolled up sleeve were like 'cylinder' that were put on the arm... so I deleted the 'top' and 'bottom' of these cylinders and rescale them so they would fit the arms. But in the 'body.tga' file, where you will find the skin for the arms... 2 lines won't be displayed on the skin (watch example below)... so watch out for the continuity of the skin.

Arm Skin:

----------------
Displayed (shoulder to elbow)

---------------
Not displayed (was the top of the cylinder of the rolled up sleeves)
---------------
Displayed ( was the side of the cylinder of the rolled up sleeves)

---------------
Not displayed (was the bottom of the cylinder of the rolled up sleeves)
---------------
Displayed (elbow to hand)

---------------

well... I hope you understand... if you have any questions... PM me or write back here

- Beast

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 11 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Emperor

Ah, Le Bete. What would we do without him? Judge for yourself. (Though far from complete.) biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

The hair polygons that were deleted appear to be the long portion covering the neck. No problem. smile.gif

Thank you so much!
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 12 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #10

Master

Looking Good Infi... biggrin.gif

Keep posting you progress... I want to know how this will turn out smile.gif

- Beast

--------------------

+Quote Post
OneWingAngel
post Jan 16 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #11

Master

Member No.: 7

Looking VERY good, I would also like to see how this turns out
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Jan 16 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #12

Master

Member No.: 27

Can you imagine how cool it would be if we could change what the actual blade of the lightsaber looked like? (As in, mod it to look like a steel sword).

Then we could have some really epic battles with nifty weapons like broadswords, bastard swords and epées. smile.gif *drool*

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 16 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #13

Emperor

Actually, you can. Such modifications are posted on JK2. If all goes well, Aoshi will come complete with a Samurai sword to use if he so desires - sounds and all. smile.gif

Wish me luck! huh.gif
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Jan 17 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #14

Master

I wish you luck Infi...smile.gif

And if you need a modeler to forge your this samurai sword... you know who to ask smile.gif

- Beast

--------------------

+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 17 2004, 11:03 AM
Post #15

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

(Somewhat getting off topic but .. )

In response to EQ ...

You and I were talking one day about why we would possibly choose a different admin mod than Academy ... THAT'S the very reason why. Many other admin mods contain support for additional mods that allow us other saber hilts, player sizes, etc. without making the game unrecognizeable.

The problem is, all those mods require something on the client side (as they have added pieces not in the game ... just as with custom skins, to see them, one has to have them).

The more interest I see in such things, the more I will hunt -- I'm completely OK with a new admin mod these days (feeling the need for a change).

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:47 PM