Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Who The Hell Is That?!, Player information

Magnomious
post Aug 31 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Jedi

Group: Members
Member No.: 44

Hey, i was looking at some other JK2 websites and they seem to have information on their site about not just how many people are in the server, but WHO is in the server. This could be really useful seeing as how i check the site before i pop in. And it really sucks when it shows 2 players but they are just bots:) Ta Ta!

-Mag
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Aug 31 2003, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Geesh, mag. have you ever looked at our serverstats page?

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Aug 31 2003, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 12

when it shows 2 players but they are just bots

Well he have kind of a point there... It would really be nice if the script that tell us the number of players on the server wouldn't count the bots as a player.

And I think it would be quite simple to do it... but the question here is speed of the script... I figured it can't be that long because it is a small part of all the pages of the site.

But I was wondering if this script could be alter to check the name of the player. If it could, then you would only have to store somewhere (in a SQL database) the possible name of the bots (likely to be the namae of the model that are on the server) and then if the name of the player matches one that is stored as a bot, the number of player would be diminish by 1.

Well again, tha's just my 2 cent about this... but you can do what you want with it (talking to Liz because he seems to be the WebMaster and all)

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Aug 31 2003, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Lord

Member No.: 2

Or just not count anyone with a ping of 0.

P.s. I sure do love rodians in stormtrooper suits!

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
TheLizardKing
post Aug 31 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #5

Secretive Rodian Lover Hater

Member No.: 1

what do all bots have in common? a ping of 0! when I do my next update (who knows when that'll be!) i'll write a check for 0 pinged players and find a way to denote them as bots.

--------------------
AS;LDJFA;LSKFADS
+Quote Post
Magnomious
post Aug 31 2003, 04:39 PM
Post #6

Jedi

QUOTE(Ruggiero @ Aug 31 2003, 10:48 AM)
Geesh, mag. have you ever looked at our serverstats page?

I think the answer to that is pretty simple rugg, no:)
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Sep 2 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #7

Master

Member No.: 12

Just a thought here... If you need help with that update... I could lend you a hand... I think I'm quite skilled in PHP... so if you don't want to do this (change the script)... I could (gladly...wink... wink)

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
Deacon
post Sep 2 2003, 11:37 AM
Post #8

Master

Member No.: 29

I saw some things on the server lastnight that might be a problem. I saw some people connecting with a ping of -1. Will your script only look for 0 or < 0?

Also, not to brag, but my ping was listed as 0 three times last night. I would never suggest changing the script for me along, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this? If so, we might want to have the script ignor the Bot's names.

Deacon

--------------------

=============================================

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

Yellow is golden, but Red is quicker!
+Quote Post
Magnomious
post Sep 5 2003, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Jedi

It would be nice if you had a mini little box perhaps at the top of the home page that shows the ppl on, no just how many the names. Much more efficient in my opinion.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Sep 6 2003, 08:51 AM
Post #10

Lord

Member No.: 3

Having the script ignore bot names might be a bit risky, as some people actually do come on and play with the same names as those (not usualy, but at times).

As for the listing at the top of the page ... there is a bit of design element that we are trying to preserve here .. rolleyes.gif and with there being an entire page dedicated to it, I'm not sure we need much more than that.

I'm good with the experimentation to solve the listing problem, though. Post the updates.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Sep 6 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #11

Emperor

Member No.: 20

I do, however, seem to want to click on that little blurb at the top of the home page for some reason. biggrin.gif {Hint, Hint}
+Quote Post
TheLizardKing
post Sep 7 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #12

Secretive Rodian Lover Hater

Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Deacon @ Sep 2 2003, 11:37 AM)
I saw some things on the server lastnight that might be a problem.  I saw some people connecting with a ping of -1.  Will your script only look for 0 or < 0?

Also, not to brag, but my ping was listed as 0 three times last night.  I would never suggest changing the script for me along, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this?  If so, we might want to have the script ignor the Bot's names.

Deacon

how was your ping posted as 0? was it cause you were connecting or something simular or did it actually go down to 0 during normal gameplay?

--------------------
AS;LDJFA;LSKFADS
+Quote Post
Deacon
post Sep 7 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #13

Master

I use Speakeasy DSL gamer package as my Inet connection. Whithout knowing how much you know about networks, they have multiple peering points across MAE east and west. These multplie connections to the Internet make routing much faster. I would post as zero if my connection time was less than 1ms. Usually have around 3-20, but there are times when it is 0. I usually get accused of being a bot sad.gif I'm not sure if it is because I'm easy to beat or beacuse of my ping

(Rugg, Xero, and Ty feel free to add your comic relief comments here!)

As I said before, it IS possible that the script would run when I'm posted as 0 and I would look like a bot. Again, if I'm the only once seeing this then don't worry. I was expect a flurry of "me too"s. Since we haven't see those, don't worry about it.

Deacon

--------------------

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

+Quote Post
XeroSaber
post Sep 9 2003, 01:09 PM
Post #14

Master

Member No.: 15

......zzz.........oh wait. thats my cue! *ahem*
Yes Deacon, its cuz ur so easy to beat. muahahaaa! *falls asleep again*
.....zzzzzzzzzz.........

Xero ph34r.gif tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Deacon
post Sep 9 2003, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Master

... Xero, did you say something... All I heard was this annoying little buzzing sound. I thought that it was a bug or something important. ohmy.gif smile.gif

I'm playing with a bit of code on my web site that reports the server info for any quake based game. I think that I can get it so that it does not require client side software. If I can get it working, I'll share the code.

My thoughs were to have it list the number of players connected and then have a drop down or a (layer based) pop-up that shows the player stats. This way, you get the best of both worlds. Also, the layer based pop-up would trick any pop-up stoppers.

This may take some time to complete as I am working on some JK3 mapping issues. If you come up with a solution in the mean time, let me know and I'll put my code on the back burner. BTW, the code that I have now reports the stats of a JK3 server without any problems.

Deacon

--------------------

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:56 AM