Wow...., (Inspiring)

InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 27 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Emperor

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Don't you just love him? (Or, at least, his speech-writer?) smile.gif

We are up against the belief that it’s ok for lobbyists to dominate our government – that they are just part of the system in Washington. But we know that the undue influence of lobbyists is part of the problem and this election is our chance to say that we’re not going to let them stand in our way anymore.

We are up against the conventional thinking that says your ability to lead as President comes from longevity in Washington or proximity to the White House. But we know that real leadership is about candor and judgment and the ability to rally Americans from all walks of life around a common purpose – a higher purpose.

We are up against decades of bitter partisanship that cause politicians to demonize their opponents instead of coming together to make college affordable or energy cleaner; it’s the kind of partisanship where you’re not even allowed to say that a Republican had an idea – even if it’s one you never agreed with. That's the kind of politics that is bad for our party; it is bad for our country; and this is our chance to end it once and for all.

We are up against the idea that it’s acceptable to say anything and do anything to win an election.  We know that this is exactly what’s wrong with our politics; this is why people don’t believe what their leaders say anymore; this is why they tune out.  And this election is our chance to give the American people a reason to believe again. 

And what we’ve seen in these last weeks is that we’re also up against forces that are not the fault of any one campaign but feed the habits that prevent us from being who we want to be as a nation.  It’s the politics that uses religion as a wedge and patriotism as a bludgeon. A politics that tells us that we have to think, act and even vote within the confines of the categories that supposedly define us. The assumption that young people are apathetic....  The assumption that the wealthy care nothing for the poor and that the poor don’t vote.  The assumption that African-Americans can’t support the white candidate; whites can’t support the African-American candidate; blacks and Latinos can’t come together.

But we are here tonight to say that this is not the America we believe in.

[ Obama's SC Speech ]

T'would be awesome if the Politics of Prejudice (and it's not confined to parties or "sides") went the way of the dodo bird. I'm half-tempted to change my affiliation from Independent to Democrat so I can vote in the Democratic primaries May 6. But... nah. That would be un-Infi. smile.gif

(Click here to see when your state's primaries come up, if interested.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 27 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

<--- is also Independent (historically), but I'll be voting in our GA Democratic primary this time around.

As you (and he) have stated, there are times when things become more important than the categories that (have) define(d) us.

Go Obama.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 27 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Emperor

Go, JB!

Too bad we can't vote in the Republican primaries, too...and the Green and the Labor and the Constitution and the Libertarian and.... smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Jan 28 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #4

Lord

Member No.: 2

That SC speech was really, REALLY amazing. Here's to hoping he can beat the machine.

Where is the FL contingent of Jedis? Obama needs your votes!

(even though they get no delegates)

R

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 28 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #5

Lord

... speaking of the machine ....

NPR commented that Ted Kennedy is supporting Obama (and NOT the Clintons) ... whoops.

(I wonder if she saw that coming?)

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Jan 31 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #6

Lord

Another side-note:

http://www.sos.georgia.gov/elections/Voting_information.htm

I forgot to mention that in GA, one of the only few political gems we have down here is that:

"In the state of Georgia, you do not have to register by political party to vote in the state's regular primaries or general elections."

Which is lovely - we just show up and grab the card/ticket of choice at the time of voting be it Dem., Rep. or what not. One year I bring my dog and pickup to the voting booth and the next my Yale diploma wink.gif

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Jan 31 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Emperor

"In the state of Georgia, you do not have to register by political party to vote in the state's regular primaries or general elections."

tongue.gif

OK.... NC took our fireworks in the seventies, refused a lottery until a couple years ago and just about every county not within 20 miles of a large city's limit is as dry as the proverbial bone.

Damn good thing it's beautiful here!

Primaries are closed, unless... a party grants permission to unaffiliated voters by Dec. 1 prior.

§ 163‑119.  Voting by unaffiliated voter in party primary.

If a political party has, by action of its State Executive Committee reported to the State Board of Elections by resolution delivered no later than the first day of December preceding a primary, provided that unaffiliated voters may vote in the primary of that party, an unaffiliated voter may vote in the primary of that party by announcing that intention under G.S. 163‑166.7(a). For a party to withdraw its permission, it must do so by action of its State Executive Committee, similarly reported to the State Board of Elections no later than the first day of December preceding the primary where the withdrawal is to become effective. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 762, s. 7; 2002‑159, s. 21(a).)

smile.gif Searching... calling....
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 1 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Emperor

Woo! I can... and still remain on the path of the Bodhisattva.... Technically. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Feb 2 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #9

Lord

GOOD FIND!

(I wonder how many others of us would be voting in the Dem. primary if they only knew it was possible <which, of course it isn't in every state, but> ...)

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 2 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #10

Emperor

(Or Republican) Euh... a lot? But no one ever said the way of the Jedi would be easy. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Feb 3 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #11

Lord

Right - and, really - getting Dems/Reps/Indies to vote at all most of the time is a feat in and of itself.

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 3 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #12

Emperor

It helps a bit that for the first time in decades there actually may be someone worth voting for. I think most people have intuitively picked up on the fact that whichever way their vote is cast in national elections, it's still a vote for corporatism/overbearing federal government and we're just flipping the same coin over every few years. (We need a multi-party system...soon.)

With the exception of a couple of mavericks, the majority of candidates in the upcoming election still wind up in the top right-hand corner of the political compass: Authoritarian Right (Intrigued by the multi-dimensional view, I did a little spot-checking and it seems pretty accurate.)

It took three decades to get into this mess and it won't be fixed overnight. Even if Obama goes all the way, he'll still be presiding over a polarized and ineffective Congress that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up with less partisan politicians. (Top down transformation has never really worked out.) But there's an old saying:

Drop a pebble in a pond, you get ripples. Soon the ripples cross the whole pond.

- Bruce Lee

*Plink!* smile.gif
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Feb 3 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #13

Lord

(no wonder I liked Mike Gravel so much ...)

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Feb 3 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #14

Emperor

+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Feb 4 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #15

Lord

Member No.: 2

<--- registered independent unfortunately, and can't vote in my state's closed primary.

God, if there were another week before Tsunami Tuesday, it would be a B.O. landslide. Let's hope the movement is his.... and keeps him in it to win it.

R

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:22 AM