Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Jedi Primer, A compilation of my observations

Tyrannus
post Aug 15 2003, 10:09 AM
Post #16

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 4

I guess I'll spout some more help for some hopeless Jedi. One word: opportunity. You see an opportunity in the fight, you take it. Anything that doesn't qualify as cheap fighting should do. Now, you must be fast to do this. Something that helps me is to just start a swing anyway, despite if it hits anything, so that if the opening appears, you can branch that swing into another and hit the opponent. Example.. opponent comes at you with red swings. As the move set is finishing, move forward with yellow and swing, making sure to do branched hits then getting out of there. Fast! You should have done a lot of damage.

I don't know if this will help.. or if you can even understand it. But I wanted to try and help some more. Either way, have fun reading! Catch you on the server...

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Tyrannus - Master of wit, and quite deadly with a saber. Truly a wonder.. or so the "Legend" goes..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kyzene
post Aug 15 2003, 08:31 PM
Post #17

Master

Member No.: 13

i think i qualify as a "hopeless" jedi biggrin.gif

--------------------
There is no such thing as luck, only mistakes and the people that take advantage of them.

Play Wild Jedi CTF in JA.
Visit Chop Shop for crazy CTF action.
Become a Pastafarian.
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Aug 16 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #18

Master

Member No.: 27

Advanced Aerial Techniques
(Cool names courtesy of Tyrannus)

Barrel-Roll Slash - Performed in red stance. This maneuver is extremely useful in closing a large distance between you and your opponent. To perform it, simply begin a strafing swing (left or right) and then jump towards your opponent while performing a barrel-roll. Barrel rolls can be independently performed by tapping the jump key and the left or right key. You should hurtle in mid air towards your opponent, doing a full 360 degree mid-air roll while swinging your saber. The key is in timing your landing, so that you are near your opponent just when the saber swing is past the lead-up stage.

This attack is extremely versatile, in that you suffer no recovery time. You can immediately jump or roll out of harm's way, after the swing is complete, or, chain on additional swings.

Hanging Slash - Performed in red stance or yellow stance. This maneuver is not only visually impressive, but an extremely useful way to confuse your opponent. The first step is to glide. This can be accomplished by holding down one of the direction keys, then shifting to hold down jump and releasing the direction key. It is during this glide in which you can perform a number of different swings.

Flying Somersault Slash - Performed in red stance or yellow stance. This maneuver is especially useful in red stance, because it eliminates recovery time. The instant the attack is complete, you can jump or roll away. To execute this attack, simply perform a flying somersault towards your opponent, by pressing the forward and jump keys. During the flying somersault, you can initiate a number of swings. The key is to time the swing such that it hits the opponent as you are landing.

*The aforementioned attacks can be modified, so that instead of landing in front of your opponent, you can execute the attack from his flank, or better still, from behind.

Flying Lemon - (Credit to Snake for this one) Performed in yellow stance, this maneuver is simple but deadly. All it requires is a high jump towards your opponent. Aim it so that you essentially land in front of him. When you are a split second away from touching the ground, execute a yellow DFA. If you kept your saber completely still during your jump, this should catch your opponent by surprise.

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Aug 16 2003, 11:20 AM
Post #19

Master

Advanced Ground Techniques

Sweeping - Performed in yellow stance or blue stance, or both. This is a simple combination, but highly lethal when mastered. Simply chain alternating left and right sweeping attacks in yellow or blue stances (both, if you can manage), as your opponent approaches. Because of the rapidity with which this combination can be executed, your opponent could be easily killed in a single encounter.

Ankle-Biting - Any attacks that can be performed standing, can be performed crouching. However, your opponent's defenses are much weaker if you attack his ankles. Unless he starts to crouch as well, you are much more likely to get successful hits. Ankle-Biting pertains to performing the aforementioned sweeping attack while crouched, however, using wide red stance sweeps in this position can be highly effective as well. Special credit to Kyzene, an avid ankle-biter, for this technique.

The Hook - This attack is, simply put, the left, left+forward combination in red stance. Because of the odd angle of attack, this move can easily be used to hit your opponent's back, while he is facing you!

The Aborted Hook - A great single swing attack. Simply do a left attack in red stance, and, halfway through the swing, press right. This should cause your saber to flick characteristically. If you are fond of chaining one attack upon the other, this maneuver will deceive your opponent into thinking that you are starting another combination, when in fact, you are performing a single swing. Best of all, by pressing right, you are actually abruptly changing directions.

The Parting Kiss - This maneuver is bound to leave your opponent scratching his head, wondering how you managed to hit him. Simply execute a single right swing in red stance. One third through the swing, press forward, two-thirds through the swing, press left. And linger, ever so slightly, so that the swing completes itself entirely. Now, the key is to *not* hit your opponent until the very end of the swing. You should be getting farther and farther from your enemy as this attack comes to a close, so that your saber will ever so lightly graze your opponent at the very end. Hence the name "Parting Kiss." Surprisingly, if timed correctly, this does the full damage of a red strafing swing. If your opponent is slow on adaptation, repeated use of this attack could lead to a flawless victory.

The Aborted Parting Kiss - This is the exact opposite of the Aborted Hook. Instead of aborting a combination, now, you are aborting a single swing attack and transforming it into a combination. This is much harder to time. You must perform an accelerated Parting Kiss, so that you can revert back to the rest of your combination before the halfway point in the swing.

--------------------
Equanimity

Commitment is the first step to excellence, and excellence but the first step to perfection.
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Aug 19 2003, 04:59 PM
Post #20

Master

Observations From A Fellow Padawan

Observation - Set aside some time to observe others duel. Don't just watch idly. Watch actively and analyze every mistake, every hit and strike. Watch from different angles and altitudes. Even watch when you yourself are dueling.

Practice - As Tyrannus mentioned, when you have such a mastery of every move so that you need not even think about it to execute it, then you will excel. This is accomplished, in large part, through practice.

Learning - There is generally something you can learn, or be reminded of, from everyone you duel. No matter how inferior, lame, or aggravating the other person is, put your emotions aside, and allow yourself to learn from the situation. You will be much better off.

Faith - Trust yourself. Give your strategy and attacks a fighting chance. Never let up on them, and never hesitate.

Never Forget - Have fun. Don't take duels too seriously and don't let anyone get under your skin. All too many people judge themselves by their present skill and fail to see their all-important potential!

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Aug 19 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #21

Master

Conclusion

Thus ends this section of the Jedi Primer. Hopefully, it will do just what its title advertises: give you a jumpstart into the complex and sophisticated matter of saber duels. Please remember that what you see here are just the basics. There is always more to learn, and a good deal of dueling cannot be learned. It is just a simple instinct, a gut feeling that tells you to do something. Listen carefully. It will serve you well.

Good Luck!

Post Scriptum - This Primer could not have been written without the constant insights, suggestions and truly inspired tutelage of all my elders at RJ - JayBaen, Tyrannus, TheLizardKing, Huma, Ruggiero, Kyzene, OneWingAngel and TheBeast. Special thanks to all those dueling partners (especially InfiniteWarrior, Deacon and Magnomious) who have put up with my crazy experimentation and my bizarre tactics. Aforementioned ladies, gentlemen, lizards AND rodians...This Primer is dedicated to you.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
Tyrannus
post Aug 19 2003, 09:30 PM
Post #22

Master

Member No.: 4

Teary eyed now..

Thanks, Equanimity! I was glad to lend what feeble advice I could to you.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Tyrannus - Master of wit, and quite deadly with a saber. Truly a wonder.. or so the "Legend" goes..
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Aug 19 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #23

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Don't you think you should call the 'ankle biting' technique the "Kyzene Memorial Ankle-Biting" technique?

--Rugg

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
JayBaen
post Aug 20 2003, 10:24 AM
Post #24

Lord

Member No.: 3

Amen Rugg, we all have our "thing."

Just as I've dubbed "The JayBaen," ... I know all-to-well of "The Ruggiero" and "The Kyzene."

It might be interesting for another PS from EQ regarding the signature style of our various RJ'ers.

JB

--------------------
Yellow Is Golden

DelphiGT

"There's nothing in this universe that can't be explained. Eventually." -- House, M.D.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Aug 20 2003, 11:36 AM
Post #25

Lord

Member No.: 2

I can give at least titles to signature moves... perhaps EQ can describe them. smile.gif

JayBaen: "TheJayBaen" and "The JayBaen Wallow"

Tyrannus: "The Tyrannus I-have-no-idea-how-he-just-killed-me"

TheLizardKing: "The Humiliator"

Huma: "TheWonderBum Duck and Cover"

Ruggiero: "The Rodian Lunge & The Rodian Stutterstep"

Kyzene: "The Kyzene Memorial Anklebite"

OneWingAngel: "The Icarus"

Beast: "The Quebecois Two-Step"

Equanimity "The Random Red DFA by Mistake" smile.gif

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
Kyzene
post Sep 2 2003, 07:06 PM
Post #26

Master

Member No.: 13

ankle biting? i think being able to "out kyzene" someone sounds much better dry.gif ankle biting sounds....i dunno....

--------------------
There is no such thing as luck, only mistakes and the people that take advantage of them.

Play Wild Jedi CTF in JA.
Visit Chop Shop for crazy CTF action.
Become a Pastafarian.
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Sep 10 2003, 08:27 AM
Post #27

Master

After much deliberation, I have decided to write a sequel to the primer on saber duels. As with anything, this knowledge can be used for both good and evil deeds. Please use this with discretion. If you should choose to ignore my advice, know this: come-uppance comes in many different ways, but it will most surely come.

That said, here is a compilation of my observations about force usage. As before, please feel free to make your own comments and additions.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Sep 10 2003, 09:50 AM
Post #28

Master

The Nature Of The Force

There is a common misconception that the force is a separate weapon from the saber. This idea must be erased from your mind. When two opponents of equally high skill conduct a force duel, it is completely impossible to determine a victor based on force usage alone. However, the misconception is perpetuated by the success of certain skilled lamers in defeating their hapless victims - which, incidentally, is no measure of effectiveness at all.

The force is an extension of your saber, nothing more.

A quick examination of the two sides of the force reveals a most interesting dichotomy of attributes. Keep in mind, however, that each side is truly only half, one side, of the same coin.

The Light Side - The light side is passive, subtle, precise and self-contained. Two powers define the light side: force absorb and force heal. Inherent in this combination are the ability to deny your opponent's ability to use any manner of force on you without also giving you more force to use in return and the ability to replenish health internally. Aggression is manifested in a battle of attrition, in which the victor is he who can most efficiently use the saber and budget the force. In force duels, the light side is ultimately stronger than the dark side, but mastery of the light side is both difficult and time-consuming. It demands an exacting precision that is not easy to acquire.

The Dark Side - The dark side is aggressive, direct, approximate and reliant. Two powers define the dark side: force drain and force grip. Inherent in this combination are the ability to heal yourself while denying your opponent of the force and the ability to conduct a devastating attack on your opponents health (ignoring shields completely). Aggression is manifested in a fierce race towards the death, in which the victor is he who can most efficiently deal damage in the least amount of time. In melee battles, the dark side is ultimately stronger than the light side, even with the server imposed restrictions on the use of force lightning. This is due to the dark side's ability to kill quickly.

The Two Sides In Battle - Another way to think about the two sides of the force: light side powers manipulate yourself; dark side powers manipulate your opponent. Understand the limitations and characteristics of each side, as it is essential to being able to use the force powers properly.

In any force duel, there are three possible combinations: dark vs. dark, light vs. light, light vs. dark. As can be deduced from the description of the dark side, dark vs. dark is just an accelerated race to do most damage. If both parties use force drain properly, then, the victor is decided by the one possessing superior saber and kicking skills. Likewise, in light vs. light battles, one witnesses an acute battle of attrition. If both parties use force heal properly, the victor is also decided by saber and kicking skills. Invariably, then, spectators will find light vs. dark duels to be the most intriguing, for the simple reason that a drawn out duel is not a possibility. Rather, this duel tends to be both a race to do most damage and a battle of attrition simultaneously.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post
Deacon
post Sep 10 2003, 05:38 PM
Post #29

Master

Member No.: 29

The Nature of the Force (cont.) & Repelling the Wily Lamer

Please accept my most humble opinion on this issue. You have stated that:

The force is an extension of your saber, nothing more.

I would take this a step further and say that your being is an extension of the force, the force is an extension of your saber and your saber is an extension of your being. Therefore, the relationship of the three is cyclical and symbiotic. Understanding that, the three when balanced can prolong your life in battle and when there is discord among them, can bring a quick and unsatisfactory end to your melee.

I unfortunately suffer, though not as much of late, the pitfalls of the later.

You must, at all times, be aware of your body, your saber and your force attack/defense range. All too often, I see young Jedi wasting their force reserve only to have it completely exhausted when they need it most.

My recommendation, other than using absorb or drain to recapture precious force points is to take a step back and allow yourself to regenerate. Also, use this time to carefully calculate your next move. If your enemy thinks that you are on the run, they will waste their energy attacking, only to be found wanting when your attack begins. Take control of the situation, or the situation will take control of you.

Many skilled opponents, and especially the wily lamer, are keen to this and will attempt to wear you down while you chase them. When they think you are tired, they quickly attack and then run again. In the end, the lamer attempts to control the situation by putting, into discord, your connection with the force, your body and your saber. They will antagonize you, kick you, and block you, all in an attempt to make you lose control. Many times, their focus is impressive, but their arrogance is often their downfall. Take their control away and they are nothing. Take control and force them to come to you.

Equanimity, I hope that my opinion does not detract from or contradict your message as that is not my intention.

On more of a light note; Saber, Force and Body, is this yet another example of the devastation inherent with the dreaded three?

--------------------

=============================================

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

Yellow is golden, but Red is quicker!
+Quote Post
Equanimity
post Dec 24 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #30

Master

As you may have noticed, I have decided to put the force primer on hold. Rather, in the coming year (2004), I will be making certain additions to the Duel Primer. Several of which will revisit material I have already written.

--------------------
Equanimity

+Quote Post

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:10 AM