IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · Standard · [ Linear+ ]

Modelling Help.., .ms3d to .glm ANYONE?!?!

DarkSykes
post Mar 18 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #1

Jedi

Group: Members
Member No.: 72

Hi all long time no see..

I been fooling aroudn with milk shape 3d working on a female stormtrooper model.. cuz i have gone wild over the look... i have a early model setup but.. i dont know how to get it from ms3d format to .glm format... does anyone know how ?if so plz let me know.. thx...

-sykes tongue.gif happy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages  1 2 > 
Replies(1 - 14)
TheBeast
post Mar 18 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Master

Group: -=RJ=-Clan
Member No.: 12

Hey DarkSykes... wow love the idea (of a Female stormtrooper model) can't wait to see it.... smile.gif (btw you could post some screenshot if you like smile.gif)

Well... going back to helping you with this modeling.

The thing is... that you can get a .glm file directly from milkshape. I kniw there is an exporter floating around... but I think it only works when you have Milkshape 2.0 (that is not out yet... go figure)... but even then... Milkshape (well the 1.6.6 version I had at the time) can't handle all aspect of creating a model (of modifying it) and getting it into a .glm file (or in a game like the JK series)... a very important thing to do is weighting the model to the bones (for animation purposes... if you don't really understnad those word... refer to the Modeling/Skinning help pinned thread... where you will find the Modeling and Skinning primer).

To get this model into a glm file... you have to use 3D Studio Max... with the plugin to export into XSI file (you can find this plugin in the JK2 editing tools packages). Then you have to use a program called carcass and his GUI frontend called assimilate (you can always use Carcass helper (found on the jeidreams website) or in a email sent by me on demand)). This little program (carcass) will convert the XSI file into a .glm file that you can use in the JK series games.

So it's not an easy process... and you need very expansive software ( I'm a bit lucky on this... one of my friend got a 'stage' (work experience when you are still in school) at Discreet and he was able to get an old version of 3D studio max for free (4.2) which he gave to me... having no use for it himself).

As stated in the modeling primer... there is the free version of 3D Studio Max... called GMax that is worth taking a look at... I don't know if it handles weithing... but it might... and you'll then be able to get your .ms3d into a .glm.

Or... if you really want to go through with this project... I could do the weighting... and converting for you... but consider this as a last resort... because I don,t have that much free time right now.

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

- Red, That's 70's Show :)
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Mar 23 2004, 01:17 AM
Post #3

Jedi

i havnt.. been able to convert it yet... assimilate and carcass are being tards ... but there is what it looks like in milkshape... its my first ever so... is probably ametuerish i suppose.. So here goes

DarkSykes' Female Storm Trooper

user posted imageuser posted image

Opinions?

The Program i got Gmax like u suggested doesnt make a clean .xsi file it loses alot in conversion so there are holes in the model. I was wonder if you think it looks good that you could convert it for me whenever you got the chance... Still dont really know what im doing only like 3rd day with this program..

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Mar 23 2004, 02:33 AM
Post #4

Master

Great... I knew it was a cool idea...smile.gif

I'm wondering how you did it though... did you start with the stormtrooper model and modified him until he looked like a female ??? Or the other way around ??? or is your model kind of a 'Frankenstien' of StormTrooper Model and some others female models ???

As I said eariler... it is looking GREAT... but the only thing that I find is missing... is a little armor. Because it is a stormtrooper, in my head, it should have armor... so I would find a more 'rectangular' feeling to the model to be appropriate.

Another option would be 'armor plates'... so you would be able to keep the 'roundness' (which give the model 'feminity' (is that a word in english???))... but with the possibility to add the needed armor to the model.

But... again... I find it great... so don't be afraid to keep posting screenie as you advance throught this project.

and btw... if you want some help with carcass... let me know... I know much of the error message it can output... so I may be able to direct you to the easiest solution.

- Beast

--------------------
"Separately, woman and alcohol can be quite fun... but when you mix them, they can make you a dumbass"

+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Mar 23 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Jedi

i used images of live female troopers to start my model of... did the best i could..these are a few pics of what i was working from. I had the basic bumps and stuff the rest of the armor detail would have been image detail and shadowing.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Mar 23 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I swear to god those are some of the funniest images i have ever seen in my life. Esp this one:

user posted image

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
DaRkSiDe
post Mar 23 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Master

Member No.: 70

laugh.gif

--------------------
*BLAM!* Worth dying for...
*BLAM!* ...Worth killing for...
*BLAM!* ...Worth going to Hell for...
...Amen.
+Quote Post
Ruggiero
post Mar 23 2004, 01:11 PM
Post #8

Lord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

the curtains in the background kill me.

Rugg.

--------------------
Oobawanga wata chopay polah.
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Mar 27 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #9

Jedi

K Im back again.. I found .. the real gMax prog... now i looked for the xsi exporter but i do not see it..
do i need some kind of plug in ?

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Mar 27 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #10

Emperor

Member No.: 20

^^^^ Jealous they don't have "bumps". Although... Dark does have a really nice jug. unsure.gif

Fairly excited about a female trooper myself, Sykes. She's looking good so far. Considering all models use the stormtrooper legs (which I've always thought were pretty effiminate anyway - no offense, Liz), I hope those aren't changed too much. Base female skins are so over-exaggerated, that I'm even more excited that it's you who is doing the makeover. wink.gif The only other person that has even come close is Beast. wub.gif

...And, well, DAK is doing a good job, too. Have you seen the changes to the waist on Leela Jedi? Oooooo. And he's included an alpha shader on the new version for... well, just go look at it. smile.gif
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Mar 27 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #11

Master

The only other person that has even come close is Beast.  wub.gif

Woohoo ! tongue.gif

About female skins and model... DAK's one in particular... I find their is some place for exageration in a female model... and the important word here is 'some'... too much isn't good... and too little isn't that good either... Well maybe it's my 'male' side acting up... but a little exageration is great... because it is a game after all smile.gif

- Beast

EDIT: Oh... and about the model... something about the helmet is kind of 'bugging' me... I think if it a were a tiny bit smaller it would look more 'proportinate'... no ???

--------------------

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Mar 27 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #12

Emperor

QUOTE(TheBeast @ Mar 27 2004, 09:47 PM)
I find their is some place for exageration ...

For you, maybe. Put yourself in our place for a minute, there, tho, bud. If you can. wink.gif

How would you feel if all you were to anyone was some Playboy centerfold to gawk at? Bet you wouldn't be too much for "exaggeration" then, eh?

Hmmmm..........
+Quote Post
TheBeast
post Mar 28 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #13

Master

How would you feel if all you were to anyone was some Playboy centerfold to gawk at? Bet you wouldn't be too much for "exaggeration" then, eh?

Maybe not... but then... it's a bit hard for me to put myself in your place...

Let me make something clear... when I said 'there is place for 'some' exageration'... I was talking 'cute girl' type of exageration... not 'Playboy Centerfold' or 'Cheerleader of the SuperBowl' kind of thing.

that's all there is to it... I know I didn't say that much... but it's kind of hard to explain... Because JK2 is a game... there is a place for fantasy (as in 'not real' or 'barely real' things)... but then, reality is important also to make the game more 'appealling'... so that's why I said that too much exageration (of anything... not only the female form) isn't right.

- Beast

--------------------

+Quote Post
InfiniteWarrior
post Mar 28 2004, 01:20 AM
Post #14

Emperor

Okay. I'll give you that much. smile.gif I'm not above tweaking the guys tails,
if for no other reason than self-defense sometimes.
Good models; good skins. That's the topic.

I'll still be wearing a different skin from now on. wink.gif
+Quote Post
DarkSykes
post Mar 28 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #15

Jedi

wow went off topic there.. anyone see my question ? lol i have 2 models i need help making to model glm.. one the fem ST for all the people who believed i could do it.. and another is My favorite cartoon character.. cuz im a big child... its Lady Curaré Female assassin. But before that i must know... am i to create textures before or after conversion.. ? sad.gifsad.gif wacko.gif blink.gif Images on the way...

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Topic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:36 PM